Damage from 2 1/2" Leveling kit

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damage from 2 1/2" Leveling kit

I went into a tire shop today to get a leveling kit and 35" tires installed on my 06 FX4. They refused to do this and said the only way they would install 35" tires was to go with a 4" lift front and rear because of damage to the drivetrain? They said that leveling the truck would cause unfavorable angles to the driveshaft. Has anyone heard of this, and is this true? I have seen many pictures on this forum of trucks with leveling kits only, and 35 inch tires. It seems to be a very common setup, a lot of people are doing the add a leaf or installing rear blocks as well. I am wondering what the best route is and if there really is possible damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraTech
I went into a tire shop today to get a leveling kit and 35" tires installed on my 06 FX4. They refused to do this and said the only way they would install 35" tires was to go with a 4" lift front and rear because of damage to the drivetrain? They said that leveling the truck would cause unfavorable angles to the driveshaft. Has anyone heard of this, and is this true? I have seen many pictures on this forum of trucks with leveling kits only, and 35 inch tires. It seems to be a very common setup, a lot of people are doing the add a leaf or installing rear blocks as well. I am wondering what the best route is and if there really is possible damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Just one of many, many posts discussing damage caused by spacers ...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...-but-when.html

Looks like a proper lift is the way to go (but I think they overstated or mis-stated the driveline thing) ...

Try using the search function - lots of info on this topic

Good luck

Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I just had my driveshaft replaced at 51k miles and I'm running a 2.5" leveling kit w/ 35's, I'm not sure if the two are related though. I thought the only issues with leveling kits were the CV angles up front but my issues may be proof that it could affect the driveshaft.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
level kit damage

the only thing that gets effected by the level kit, are the cv axles, ball joint (upper and lower)
The driveshaft dosen't move or change angle, because the front center section dosen't move down ANY only the wheels do!

I think (my thought) anything above a 2" level may start to do extra wear on the cv's I have my 99 EXpy cranked all the way down, and I still have the stockers in with over 140,000 on them, and not a ounce of trouble from them.

The suspension is STILL in it's normal range of travel, so it's shouldn't hurt anything.. except as stated extra pressure on the upper and lower ball joints, and min pressure on the cv's

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Suspended
heres how i understand it:

leveling kit changes your front suspension 2 1/2" (or w/e you choose) hurting cv's ball joints etc

now a 6" lift kit corrects those angles, but do they give you any driveshaft requirements? usually nothing, occasionally someone needs a spacer or extension but thats usually for an 8" lift.

so your diff is not moving AT ALL, how can your driveshaft be hurt if a 6" lift isn't hurting it either?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with fomoco466 and 06yz250 f. oo

Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone, looks like I'll either do 33's or get the lift. I'm reluctant with the lift because of the gas mileage.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
you shouldnt have any issues with a level kit other than your ball joints/cv axles/tie rods... basically everything up front where the angle changes.... but not your driveshaft. It doesn't do anything to your driveshaft. A lot of shops wont do it b/c of that and reliability issues...

Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraTech
My truck's been leveled over 4 1/2 year's and close to 65k miles with no problem's. Most of my problem's were with the brake's due to the heavy 35" tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damage from 2 1/2" Leveling kit