Leveling kit install guestions for an 09 F-150... Ran into a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit install guestions for an 09 F-150... Ran into a problem

Hey guys,

tried installing my AS 2.5" leveling kit yesterday and I didn't fair so well. I am quite mechanically inclined mind you. Everything went very smooth up to to part where I tried to reinstall the strut with the spacer on top.

I did one of these kits on my dads 05 with no trouble. The only difference i can see is the design of the lower control arm. On the 04-08's, the lower strut mount in an open design, where there are 2 ear pieces that stick up where the bottom of the strut mounts. on the 09's, the strut sits down into a pocket or welded cup where the tabs are fully surrounded.

My problem was getting the strut into this pocket. With the spacer installed on the top of the strut, and this top section inplace in the strut tower I did not have enough downward rotation (travel) in the the control arm to allow for the strut to get into this pocket. I didn't have anything to compress the strut (or i would have) and didn't have another set of hands to assist with jamming it in. I needed about 3/16" to a 1/4" more rotation for this to get in there. I wish i took a pics or 2 to help describe my issue. Also, i did measure the shim and it is 1-5/8" so it is a 2.5" kit.

Anyone who has done this care to share or input on my problem? If this went in smooth it would not take me any more than 1.5hours to complete the entire job.

Thanks in advance,

Have this posted in the 09 section too, but thiought i would add it here for a little more exposure.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rent a spring compressor and try to compress the coilspring slightly as you reinstall the coilover.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the whole front end in the air when you are doing this or just one side?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Is the whole front end in the air when you are doing this or just one side?
Just one side. As the instructions say.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smartypants, but did you unhook the sway bar lower control arm? That could be a problem holding up the LCA.

I know when I did my front coilovers I had the whole front in the air and the sway bar was a non issue, didn't have to unhook it.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Assuming the sway bar is detached be cautious with your break like as mine were stretched pretty tight and became my limiting factor of lower a-arm travel.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:06 PM
The tie rods are a limiting factor too. If you unbolt them, the sway bar and the UCA you should have more than enough room to get it in there.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 AM
undo everything, watch your brake lines though, and have a freind stand or push on the lower arm while you work the strut in. My 05 was a pain even with the whole in the lower arm so I can only imagine the 09..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Alright, thanks guys. I have a few more things to look at now. Have a buddy on stand by when i find some more time to monkey around with this.

I never noticed the break lines as a problem,, but the CV's seemed to be the limiting factor i am pretty sure. Its just getting it into this enough rotation out of the CA to allow the shock to clear the pocket hump and get to the mounting hole. Guess I'll have to use a little more muscle or rent a spring compressor as wandell said. It'll happen though.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit install guestions for an 09 F-150... Ran into a problem