Lift Companies

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Companies

Has anyone heard of "Rough Country" for lift kits? If so how are they for reliability?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Suspended
not many people run them on this site, doesn't mean there not good. what years your truck?

most people recommend fabtech because its the most readily available and is well built. i have a bds, its also a great lift. pro comp most people say only mall crawlers should buy, but if your not out bashing your truck you will have no problem. rancho i never hear any complaints about, its well built just not 6" so its not as popular but alot of people do run the lift on here.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
My F150 is anything but a mall crawler, and my Pro Comp lift has held up well. ;-)

I've heard of Rough Country, but never heard of anybody running them.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, the Pro Comp front crossmember has a flat design to it. The fabtech, among others, is arched, and therefore a bit stronger imo, and looks better. Technically, the arched design also gives you a little more ground clearance. However, the fabtech will increase the front track width considerably, while the Pro Comp will not.

In the end, it will come down to your personal choice/preference.

I'm not really a fan of the Rough Country kits. You really do get what you pay for with suspension lifts...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
i just bought a rough country lift for my 99, i didnt put it on yet because i have to fix a few kinks first. the price does almost seem to good to be true but they do have a warentee. i already installed a set of nitro 9000 shocks from rough country and they seem to be holding up well to my punishment

Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
well, the Pro Comp front crossmember has a flat design to it. The fabtech, among others, is arched, and therefore a bit stronger imo, and looks better. Technically, the arched design also gives you a little more ground clearance. However, the fabtech will increase the front track width considerably, while the Pro Comp will not.

In the end, it will come down to your personal choice/preference.

I'm not really a fan of the Rough Country kits. You really do get what you pay for with suspension lifts...
I can't argue that the Fabtech kits has better ground clearence, because it does. The fact that they give you new shocks, rather than a 6" coil spacer is a plus too! But when I was shopping for my lift I was more concerned with track width and steering geometery (the Pro Comp keeps it closer to stock) than the drop brackets... every single lift company builds a bracket that is more than strong enough. They are only going to be as strong as the frame they are attached to, and beleive me, they are every bit as strong as the factory parts they are bolted to.

For a 6" lift, I would say go for a Fabtech, Pro Comp or BDS. There are others, but they can get expensive. If you are going to run coilovers, the Fabtech coilovers are nicer than the Pro Comp, but there is no reason why you couldn't run Fabtech coilovers on a Pro Comp lift. I plan on a set of Race Runner coilovers for my Pro Comp lift.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tornadom
My F150 is anything but a mall crawler, and my Pro Comp lift has held up well. ;-)

I've heard of Rough Country, but never heard of anybody running them.
i didn't mean it like that, thats just what every one seems to say.

i know fx4 for life loves his lift, i drove his truck the other day and it rode smooth as hell going down the trail, he does have bilsteins tho

Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
i didn't mean it like that, thats just what every one seems to say.
I didn't take any offense by it, I was just clarifying that there is at least one exception to that.

I'm not going to lie, I can't wait to upgrade to my Race Runner coil-overs, but in the mean time my truck is a goat. I think Josiah might have a scar or two from riding in my truck (A female passenger clawed him pretty hard during an "Oh ****!" moment on a trail). It may not be the IDEAL kit for off roading, but it has certainly taken a beating with my truck and works flawlessly!

Honestly, if you stick to the name brands you can't go wrong.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, if we wanted to offroad our IFS F-150's constantly, a long travel system would be the preferred kit, with new upper and lower control arms. this would eliminate the necessity for the drop down brackets. but, you'd be looking at like
+4'' more track per side. the cost isn't cheap either, but to those who need them, such kits are worth every penny.

the procomp kit, especially when upgraded to a stage 2 is great, don't get me wrong. personally, i prefer the increase in front track the fabtech provides, that's all.

to me, the arched shape would lend more strength than a plain flat crossmember, but I am by no means an expert in metallurgy/fabrication, so this may be my pure unqualified opinion here. again, this is not me saying the pro comp kit is "weak," or anything.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I have a 93 Flareside. Cool, I had just never heard of them and thought I would be safe and ask. Lol.

Quick Reply: Lift Companies