Vibration From Hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration From Hell

I have a 2000 F-150 4x4 with 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains with about 30k miles on them. I have recently developed a vibration between 45-55 in the right front that feels like the front end is bouncing. Had them road force balanced and rotated today and it didn't phase it at all. Dealer said tires were cupping. Ball joints were replaced at same time tires were installed, new Bilsteins were installed last weekend. Do I need to look at tie rods and pitman arms and such or could it simply be the tires are FUBAR and need replaced? I can replace a lot of front end pieces for the cost of one new tire so I don't know what to do. The vibration pulls the steering wheel back and forth from about 10 to 2 o'clock. From what I understand about road force balancing it seems the dealer would've detected a problem if it were in the tires. I've researched "death wobble" and "vibration" exhaustively on here. There is alot said about the problems, going back 8 years but nobody ever comes back and says how they whipped it or gave up. If any of you guys have been lucky enough to fix this problem I would love any feedback. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd look at the tie rod ends and the idler arm as they are also high wear items.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 AM
finally i'm not the only one with this problem... i have an 01 4x4 that starts to shake once i hit 40 - 50 mph. At first it was only the bed of my truck, but now it has moved up to my cab and it annoys the hell outta me. If anybody has any suggestions please feel free to help out a ford brother in need

Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
does the vibration go away if you turn either way or just one way, while doing 40-50? i know i say this alot but check your wheel bearings! alot of people over look these and just start thinking its a suspension/steering issue when the get a vibration/ wobble in the front end. lift the front end up with the tires in the air grab the bottom of your tire and see if it moves back and forth, if so the bearing hub is gone. hope you find the problem lates!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much is involved in swapping the wheelbearing on these 4x4's?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
yup, buddys got a bad bearing and i would have sworn it was a dead cylinder til we did his ball joints.

it is a very easy swap. three bolts, the ABS sensor bolt, pull hub nut off, take hub off, slap new one in and reverse the process. half an hour if youre taking your time.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
yeah its a very easy install. the only thing it hurts is the ol pocket book, $280-320 for the one on my ranger

Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Well my suspicion was confirmed. I kept the factory wheels and tires. I threw those on the front and the vibration is gone. I guess this falls under putting one under your cap. Just cause the shop says it was balanced doesn't mean it was balanced right. I thought since it was road force balanced I could automatically eliminate the wheels and tires. I learned a lesson there. Whenever you don't do a job yourself, it's only done as well as the monkey doing the work wants to do it. No offense to any monkey's reading this.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
wow, that sucks.

so even with both front tires moved to the back the vibration didn't change?

Quick Reply: Vibration From Hell