2WD with fabtech 6 inch and 2.5 AS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD with fabtech 6 inch and 2.5 AS

i'm about to upgrade to the 6 inch lift. i'm going to run my 33's with just the 6 inches for a while, then when i'm ready i'm going to put the AS back on with new tires.

what's the biggest tire i can run with this setup? i'm hoping it's bigger than a 35

i have a 2WD '08 scab.

sorry for the noob question guys, just trying to figure it out.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
If you run the Fabtech, AS and an AAL or bigger rear block you may be able to get away w/ 37's. I know you can do it w/ a 4wd but I'm not too sure about the 2wd. I'd say your best bet would be to do the 6" and take some measurements and compare them to what a 4wd w/ a 6" has. You can do a search and find the measurements of others pretty easily. If you're close up front then you should be good for 37's by installing the AS. W/ 37's you'll want to do a gear swap too. I know a guy locally that did mine for $500 labor each axle. What size AS do you have anyways?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be tight. I've seen several 4x4's fit 37's with a 6 inch lift and a leveling kit, but they sit 2 inches taller than a 4x2. If you wan't 37's, I'd stick with a 37x12.50 tire and use as much backspacing on the wheels as the Fabtech kit allows.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:20 PM
i have a 6 inch with 2.5 leveling kit with the dirt logic coil overs but when they weren't cranked i have minimal rubbing with 36" tires. if you get the dirt logic coil's you could run 37's easy, i have room for them and possibly 38's.. btw mine is 2wd

Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by thorherc67
i have a 6 inch with 2.5 leveling kit with the dirt logic coil overs but when they weren't cranked i have minimal rubbing with 36" tires. if you get the dirt logic coil's you could run 37's easy, i have room for them and possibly 38's.. btw mine is 2wd
So you have your DL's cranked and a 2.5" AS on top of them?!? Aren't your ball joints at their limit? Do you have any downward travel left? I haven't looked at any 2wd front ends recently to compare them to my 4wd so I don't really know.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't add a leveling kit on top of cranked up coilovers.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by tlt008
So you have your DL's cranked and a 2.5" AS on top of them?!? Aren't your ball joints at their limit? Do you have any downward travel left? I haven't looked at any 2wd front ends recently to compare them to my 4wd so I don't really know.
yeah look at my angles.. they aren't bad at all. its like a 4wd with a leveling kit on it, i have pics in my gallery of them

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
thanks for the info guys!!

i definately wont crank the coilovers and add a leveling kit, it may be possible, but i don't want to run the chance of wearing out my ball joints

it's 2.5 inches, btw.

i'm hoping to fit 36's or 37's.

haha i have the lift bug now went up 2.5 inches and now i wana go higher and higher.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by thorherc67
yeah look at my angles.. they aren't bad at all. its like a 4wd with a leveling kit on it, i have pics in my gallery of them
I just looked at your gallery pics and your angles don't look bad at all. The problem is that your coilovers are only down a couple threads. That's not really cranked in my book. At most you have an additional 1/2" of lift from the coilovers but likely nothing at all how it's sitting in those pictures. What's the point of having the 2.5" spacer on top when you have another 3" of adjustment allowable on your coilovers? Get us a good level picture, horizontal to the ground, right above the tire so we can see the true angles and how much the DL's are really spun down.

You have less to "lose" with cranking a 2wd because there's no cv shafts to worry about but the ball joints(upper/lowwer) are still a limiting factor.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by RJcavF150
thanks for the info guys!!

i definately wont crank the coilovers and add a leveling kit, it may be possible, but i don't want to run the chance of wearing out my ball joints

it's 2.5 inches, btw.

i'm hoping to fit 36's or 37's.

haha i have the lift bug now went up 2.5 inches and now i wana go higher and higher.

What does your UCA look like right now w/ the 2.5" spacer on it? You might consider getting the coilovers w/ your Fabtech so that you can crank them to exactly what you need to squeeze in the 37's you want. If that's out of your budget and the 2.5" AS isn't giving you horrible angles, you might get yourself a 3" AS. I think I've read before that the 2wd coilsprings are shorter than the 4wd's. I can't really see them changing the whole front knuckle, UCA and LCA but I could definitely be wrong.

I know what your talking about w/ the lift bug. 2 Months after I got my truck I put a 2" leveler on it and some 35's and I tought that would be enough to quench my appetite. Here I am no 6 months after that with 10" of lift and 38's and after a week w/ that set up I already want bigger! Don't really know what I'm gonna do about it this time though.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 AM
hahaha i know man. its a crazy addiction.

coilovers actually sound like a great idea.

that's what i'll end up doing! thanks for the advice. now i gota save up.

i only have $600 in my lift fund right now.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I just looked at your gallery pics and your angles don't look bad at all. The problem is that your coilovers are only down a couple threads. That's not really cranked in my book. At most you have an additional 1/2" of lift from the coilovers but likely nothing at all how it's sitting in those pictures. What's the point of having the 2.5" spacer on top when you have another 3" of adjustment allowable on your coilovers? Get us a good level picture, horizontal to the ground, right above the tire so we can see the true angles and how much the DL's are really spun down.

You have less to "lose" with cranking a 2wd because there's no cv shafts to worry about but the ball joints(upper/lowwer) are still a limiting factor.
i put a 2.5 spacer because i just bought it and didn't want to waste money and throw it away, and i decided it would be a better way to achieve some extra lift without cranking the coil's so i could keep the better ride. i was told if cranked to much it would ride horrible.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah that's what I was going to do with my Kings and 2" spacer but King said not to do it. I figured the same thing you did about the ride. My Kings cranked the way they are right now though give me a great ride. We'll see what happens when I finish cranking them to get another inch or so.....

Any chance you could post up that pic I was talking about to satisfy everyone's(my) curiosity?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah that's what I was going to do with my Kings and 2" spacer but King said not to do it. I figured the same thing you did about the ride. My Kings cranked the way they are right now though give me a great ride. We'll see what happens when I finish cranking them to get another inch or so.....

Any chance you could post up that pic I was talking about to satisfy everyone's(my) curiosity?
yeah it'll be a camera phone pic.. i dont have a camera right now lol i will be back home this weekend and i can take better ones then

Quick Reply: 2WD with fabtech 6 inch and 2.5 AS