2wd to 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2wd to 4wd

my buddy got a 78 F250 custom for the front axle and the coil mounts. it has a devosed 205 transfer case i belive it is the same spline count as mine. were going to mount it on my truck im going to use the rear drive shaft. then im getting a dana 44 out of a 79 F150 along with coils and coil buckets. my buddy is getting a dana 70 rear for his truck this weekend and is willing to give me his sterling 10.25 with 4.10 gears. im hoping the 44 will have 4.10s or higher in the front. the 10.25 has 4" blocks welded onto the axle so that will help compansate for the front witch with those coils and buckets will be about 8-10 inchs. im going to run my 265/75's for a while yes i know it;ll look goofy then go to a 33 then maybe even up to a 35 after i re gear to 4.56s or 4.88s

Going from no front axle to a soild front axle skipin that whole crappy indipent thing

Watcha yall think? any info or anything is welcome oh and im going to get some good hubs in the front and weld the front diff

Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
my buddy got a 78 F250 custom for the front axle and the coil mounts. it has a devosed 205 transfer case i belive it is the same spline count as mine. were going to mount it on my truck im going to use the rear drive shaft. then im getting a dana 44 out of a 79 F150 along with coils and coil buckets. my buddy is getting a dana 70 rear for his truck this weekend and is willing to give me his sterling 10.25 with 4.10 gears. im hoping the 44 will have 4.10s or higher in the front. the 10.25 has 4" blocks welded onto the axle so that will help compansate for the front witch with those coils and buckets will be about 8-10 inchs. im going to run my 265/75's for a while yes i know it;ll look goofy then go to a 33 then maybe even up to a 35 after i re gear to 4.56s or 4.88s

Going from no front axle to a soild front axle skipin that whole crappy indipent thing

Watcha yall think? any info or anything is welcome oh and im going to get some good hubs in the front and weld the front diff

sounds easy shouldnt have any problems at all... everything is actually a direct bolt on.

look at my thread, theres alot more to it the just mounting a few things here and there. hope you can weld... good.

8-10" of lift and 32's= FLIPPED Im running around 16-20" and my truck is dwarfin 40's

not to mention you will be running 2 different bolt patterns. 8x170mm on the 10.25 and either 5x5.5 or 8x6.5 and i believe theres 2 other patterns that the 44 could come in.

but neither of them is the 8x170mm to match the 10.25

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 04-03-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 AM
yeah that 10.25 will bolt right in we have all the brackets for the 205 and both drive shafts for mock up oh and the lil tiny drive shaft. is that the same spline as mine? i belive its 31 spline if i rember right 4R70W.

My buddys dad just got a new 220amp mig welder thing welds amazing! and hes been welding longer than ive been alive. he helpd build a soild axle 95 bronco with his kid lots of welded never broke anything.

What gear should i run?? my buddys dad says 4.88's because its better to over gear than undergear. i dont think im going to go biger than a 35. haha you think itd look really goofy with my 265's? my buddy is getting rid of his 31s or 33s so i could try those out lol

What are my rims on my truck now i know there 5 but i know what kind of 5 lol. my buddy said i can take the rims from his 10.25 so that gives me back rims. and also we know a guy who owns a machine shop so i could make the things to have the 8 lug on the 44. or i could just have 2 sets of rims but just diff sized 8;'s

Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will be ok to run 35's on 8-9'' of lift. i wouldn't run any smaller a tire on such a big lift, though. not only will it look GAY, but it can also lead to some tipping action, lol.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
you need to run ATLEAST 37's to make it worth the SAS.

The 35's wouldnt give enough clearance for the rear diff from ground to diff.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
you need to run ATLEAST 37's to make it worth the SAS.

The 35's wouldnt give enough clearance for the rear diff from ground to diff.
If you just want 31's or 33's...... and your gonna go through a S.A.S. !!!!! Must have nothing better to do! +1 for wanting to do the SAS & -1 for not wanting bigger than a 33" tire. Get some 37's or just buy a level kit and stay stock.

My buddies got a '97 F150 with SAS and he's running 40's, looks sick!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM
tires are expensive and i dont got the money to get a good set of 38's just gotta run some used tires and if i gotta use 35s oh well.

got my 205 transfercase today thing is HEAVY! prob close to 200 lbs id say. Heres a pic

Gear to gear if i break this transfer case i done did somthing wrong

im getting a dana 44 with leafs on the front prob gonna convert that to coil with coils n buckets all for 300 bucks the dana 44 has brand spanking new 4.56 gears

Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 PM
my buddys bronco with 12 " of lift and a SAS only had 35s and that ran fine didnt drag the pig or anything and went threw every mud hole and it didnt roll ever and we had that thing n some angles!!! i think my truck with 8" of lift with 35's will be plenty check out my trhead on genral disscussion *Someone photoshop my truck please* looks pretty good looks kidna goofy with the tires i got now.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Suspended
Suprised no one has mentioned the fact that he will need a 4x4 tranny.. GOOD LUCK GETTING YOUR 4x2 TRANNY TO RUN A TRANSFER CASE!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by McLovin
Suprised no one has mentioned the fact that he will need a 4x4 tranny.. GOOD LUCK GETTING YOUR 4x2 TRANNY TO RUN A TRANSFER CASE!
not a problem at all if you know what you are doing, a divorced t-case would work. Ive seen it done countless times.

but what i mean by doing a SAS for 35's is pointless cause your LOOSING ground clearance, and a body lift or quality suspension lift will work just fine for 35's

did you look at my build thread? Ill be making 40's look like donuts (theres pictures to prove it)

link in sig

Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 AM
yeah i know a body lift or suspention lift would let me have 35's but i dont have 4x4 and i figured go from no axle to soild rather than havin that crapy TTB or indepent. im sure ill go to bigger tires later.

yeah my truck wont care if its still a 2wd trans its a devorsed transfer case that means i have a foot long drive shaft from my tail shaft into the transfer case. then one to rear axle and one to the front. the only prob my buddy had doing this is when he would go to 4 low the truck wouldnt shift bc the trans didnt know what to do but in 4 low you normaly dont go above 40 any ways * 1 to 2nd shift for me* and he said when it finaly did shift the whole truck jumped and barked the rear tires. thats the only prob ive heard of with doing this.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Well just to let you know 40mph in 4 low is waaay to fast lol! I can see that in 4 hi but jeez..... Other than that you should be all good man. Also on the tire issue have you tried looking at some used 38s or something along those lines? I understand you dont have the money to buy brand new 37s or 38s but I woulod tried to find some used ones man. Just my .02 Looking good though.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Suspended
I think yer an idiot. Here's why -

1) Even if everything goes as you plan, you're still gonna have alignment issues and the gearing in the front won't match the back

2) Yer not ready to pay for the size of tires you will need = safety issue

3) If you get an older beater 4x4 you can (most likely) fix any headaches on it for cheap if you fix it yourself. At very least it would be a lot less work than converting what you have now.

4) Your MPG is going to suck even worse than what it is now.

5) It's still going to be a 4.6L truck.

6) It will be a pain in the rear to drive on long trips - crappier handling because that truck was not designed to have a SAS

7) Last and finally, lifting it that high will make it harder to load/awkward to carry/unsafe when you carry 5,000 in the bed

Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by McLovin
I think yer an idiot. Here's why -

1) Even if everything goes as you plan, you're still gonna have alignment issues and the gearing in the front won't match the backyeh and IFS has alignment issues every suspension has to be aligned, then when you get into lifting that IFS your alignment will be getting screwed. I was having to align my IFS once a month

2) Yer not ready to pay for the size of tires you will need = safety issue, not really as long as its wide enough then really all he's doing is makin it look like a roller skate, and thats his problem.

3) If you get an older beater 4x4 you can (most likely) fix any headaches on it for cheap if you fix it yourself. At very least it would be a lot less work than converting what you have now. and whats custom about that? theres nothing fun about it, next you can go ahead and say "why not buy a F25" your an idiot

4) Your MPG is going to suck even worse than what it is now. Doubt full, yeah it will drop but not much, the gearing will help out ALOT in that segment. But hey a lifted IFS looses MPG aswell

5) It's still going to be a 4.6L truck. and mines gonna be turnin 40's and its the 4.2 motor has nothing to do with it when you have gearing

6) It will be a pain in the rear to drive on long trips - crappier handling because that truck was not designed to have a SAS If you know what you are doing and dont cheap out on springs, shocks and the design it will handle better than a lifted Torsion Base truck, yeah not designed for it, thats why its CUSTOM.

7) Last and finally, lifting it that high will make it harder to load/awkward to carry/unsafe when you carry 5,000 in the bed
I dont carry 5,000 pounds in my bed, but just because its high doesnt mean anything, if its that big a problem then pull a trailer, I wont be using my bed for much but ill still put wood in there, stuff for camping, hunting, kyaks... and anything else that needs to got up there. Pretty much just boils down to be a man, dont say oh it can go in the bed that high... Cowboy up

Read my answers...

you are the idiot, now go to my thread and call me an idiot too. cause my truck almost done and will be 2x bigger than shifty_85's LINK IN SIG

Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Heck yea! Go get em trimble!!!! Let em knows whats up!

And shifty, its your truck man, do exactly what you want. You know were here to back you up and help you with whatever you need

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4wd