Need Sugestions!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Sugestions!!

I have a 04 F 150 xlt with the 5.4 and stock wheels and suspension, my suspension feels pretty mushy, im used to a sport cars suspension,I got the truck because I need to get my racebikes to the track (motocross) I really dont want to lift the truck because I dont want a steep angle to load the bikes into the bed, I thought about lowering it but it barely has enough ground clearance as it is when I ride in the desert. I would like to do a set of wheels and tires and stiffen up the suspension so I dont bottom out on everything. You guys got any sugestions that would look good and firm things up?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest installing a set of lowering shackles out back to level the truck. Then add a set of 22 inch wheels and some 305/40-22's (if you have a 4x2)or 305/45-22's (if you have a 4x4). Both tires are pretty tall (32 and 33 inches) and will give the illusion that your truck is lowered while actually improving your ground clearance slightly.
Also, a set of Bilstien shocks would improve your handling. They also feature adjustable spring preload up front so you could lift the front of the truck 2 inches if you decide to go that route.

Last edited by wandell; 03-30-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you carry bikes in the back and need extra payload an AAL would be a good option. It would only raise the back about an inch and a half and would stiffen up the ride. You could put a drop shackel on in combination with the AAL and the truck would remain about the same height as it is now. Bilstiens are also a great idea also as far as handling goes. Your best bet to adjust the feel of the truck IMO is with the suspension components more so than the wheels and tires. If your offroad much im not sure how low profile a tire you would want? On average the bigger the rim you go with the more the ride will firm. But that still depends some on the tire and it's sidewall height.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the options, both sound like good ideas but I think wandell hit the nail on the head with his idea, how is the 32"-33" tire going to effect my mileage though?

Quick Reply: Need Sugestions!!