Will the same wheels work on a leveled AND Lifted truck?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the same wheels work on a leveled AND Lifted truck?

I am in the middle of an upgrade dilemma. I have a 3" leveled with rear AAL 2005 FX4. I need new tires, and know I wanted BFG KOs. Long story short, I have convinced myself this is the time to put on new wheels and tires. The combo I am looking at is KMC Monster 18X9 +18mm offset (5.71 BS) with 325/65-18 BFGs. I know this will pack my wheel wells and probably call for some trimming. If it is too much, I would want to raise the truck with either a Fabtech or Pro-Comp 6". My fear is that a lifted truck requires an alternate backspacing, but I really can't find a definite answer.

Question: Will the wheel/tire combo mentioned above fit with a lift?

My alternative is to just liquidate all my cash and go with a 6" lift with 37's...Isn't it funny how buying new tires can snowball?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you go with the rancho you will be ok, but with fabtech or pro comp they call for 5" of back space

Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the rims may work with a fabtech, you can run the stockers wit the fabtech, but those rims won't work with the pro comp, too much backspacing.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys. After much research and thought....I've been bitten by the need to go higher. I just ordered a Fabtech 6" lift this weekend. I have talked to the tech hotline at Fabtech and there are not exactly sure how deep of backspacing that someone can go. They recomended to me to but the kit and install it with the stock wheels and measure for myself. So that is what I am doing...I do not want my wheels to protrude further than a fender flare to cover and the two backspacings that I can get in my desired wheel are +18 (5.71) and -12 (4.53).

I will try to close this post with what I find in a few weeks, but if anyone has some advice on Fabtech lifts and wheel offsets from what they have learned...please share.

Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I think you'll be fine but I can't tell you for sure. A guy on here proved that you could run the stockers on a Fabtech a while back but it was tight. Just remeber that the tire is going to stick out further than the rim at a different point and you'll be be good. You're definitely doing it the smart way by taking actual measurements for yourself though. Good luck with your build and let us know for sure what you find out. Don't forget to turn the wheels and measure for clearance that way too!

Thought you said you were gonna do 37's if you went w/ the lift though?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I have the Fabtech 6" lift with 18x9 Monsters, not 100% sure but I believe it's the ones with the 5.71" BS. I do get some rubbing on full turn, but I think it's rubbing on the plastic that hangs below the bumper so I just need to get out there and trim some off. I don't think it's actually rubbing on the fenderwall itself. I also have the bushwacker pocket flares and the tires stick out, but the fender flares cover them.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys!

Thought you said you were gonna do 37's if you went w/ the lift though?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going to go big...but practicality set in a little (remember, this started out with me replacing my BFG Rugged Trail tires)...I tow a boat and a motorcycle race trailer..and I really don't want to be changing gears in the front and rear at this point. I can go big later...which I probably will. For now, I am even going to go with the BFG AT KO...to keep things a little less aggressive.

wxscpo, thanks for the input. I was actually looking to contact you because it appears you have the same set-up as I am looking at. That is good to know if you think you have the 18X9 with the +18mm offset, I like the profile look of your truck.

Thanks guys, I will keep you up to date with what happens.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Getting the stuff

Just an update...I've researched using this site and calling shops on the internet. I decided to get the Fabtech Performance Kit (on back-order for another week) with Ballistic Hostel Wheels in Chrome, size 18X9, +12mm offset (5.47 BS); even though Fabtech only recommends 5" of BS... The wheels should be something a little different. I plan on ordering a set of BFG KM2 now also(after much personal debate on the AT KO) in 35X12.5.

I'll keep you posted and hopefully figure out how to post pictures by the time I get it done in a few weeks

Thanks to all!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Suspended
if your going with fender flares go w/ 4.5" of backspacing. that will push the wheels out a couple inches and will fill the fender flares perfect. if you get the 5.4 backspacing it will be tucked in the flares and wont look ride when looking straight down from the front or rear.

heres a pic of mine. 17x9 and 4 5/8 backspacing

Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by REDHT GT
Just an update...I've researched using this site and calling shops on the internet. I decided to get the Fabtech Performance Kit (on back-order for another week) with Ballistic Hostel Wheels in Chrome, size 18X9, +12mm offset (5.47 BS); even though Fabtech only recommends 5" of BS... The wheels should be something a little different. I plan on ordering a set of BFG KM2 now also(after much personal debate on the AT KO) in 35X12.5.

I'll keep you posted and hopefully figure out how to post pictures by the time I get it done in a few weeks

Thanks to all!
How do you figure your backspacing? Wouldn't it be 4.5" + 12 mm? = about 4.97". I think you are using a 10" rim instead of 9.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tyler33
How do you figure your backspacing? Wouldn't it be 4.5" + 12 mm? = about 4.97". I think you are using a 10" rim instead of 9.
Use the width of the rim, plus 1" to take into account a front and rear lip of ~ 1/2" on each side. Rim width is measured to the inside edge where the wheel mounts and backspace is measured from the outside edge. Offset is measured from the centerline, so you need to add the extra distance for the lip edges and divide by two when converting between them.

18x9 Wheel:
9 + 1 = 10 / 2 = 5 (+ or - the offset to get the BS)

A 9" wheel with a +12 mm offset (1/2") will have 5.5" of BS and the same 9" wheel with 0 mm offset will have 5" of BS.

KR-Texas

Old 04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Backorder again!

Well I am told the Fabtech lift will be ready to ship on Wednesday...but I got bad news from the wheel distributor...the last pair of the +12 mm that were confirmed to be in the warehouse were sold before my credit card was run. I personally think that the company found out the rims that were avaailable were the -12mm offset. So....I now I am back to the decision time again...xd Monsters w/ +18mm or Ballistic Hostels in the -12mm...I am starting to lean towards letting the wheels hang out....that way I leave myself open for flares and maybe 37's someday.... I can't wait to get this stuff at my place and on the truck...this decision stuff is killing me...I can't decide what is the coolest...I like it all!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I vote Hostels man....the Monsters are nice but too many peple have them. They won't stick out too much either. Worst case scenario you can just install some flares.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
After all the backorders....

Well, after all the backorders (I hope) this is what I think I am ending up with...the Fabtech 6" performance lift (supposedly shipping tomorrow) 18X9 w/ -12mm offsett Ballistic Hostels in Chrome (4.53 BS) with some BFG KM2. This project is getting tiring already figuring out what is in stock and not on a 3 month back-order. I think I will be happy with the end result though...the wheels will protrude a little further than I originally wanted...but I think I will be glad in the end... hopefully I'll be able to post pictures in a week or two once I get it all and on....

Thanks all!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
BTW...the answer to my original question....

By the way, I've continued to research my orginal question of will the same wheel fit a leveled and lifted vehicle. Between posts and PMing a few fellow members, I believe the answer is YES. I have found a few leveled guys running 18X9 with +18mm offset (5.71 BS) and 35's with only a little trimming. I have also found a few trucks with the Fabtech lift and the same wheels and tires. They also claim miner trimming....so if so inclined the +18 mm offset seems to be a good choice if you are undecided to go leveled or lifted.... Disclaimer: I did not try it myself, so I cannot give first hand knowledge...I can tell you I was confident enough to try it myself, but had a change of heart and wanted wider, more aggressive stance...let's hope it turns out...

Just wanted to put this into the thread in case there are others out there with the same question..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the same wheels work on a leveled AND Lifted truck?