Autospring vs. Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autospring vs. Bilstein

I'm looking to level out my truck in the near future and have been doing alot of research as far as what may be the best options. Originally I was leaning toward the 2" AS kit due to a good reputation, simplicity, and affordability. Recently, however I have been looking at the Bilstein 5100s due to the adjustability. My truck measures about a 2 1/4" diffrence front to back and I am afraid if I install the AS my rear will sag. However, if I pay alot more, then I could possibly keep this from happening by installing the Bilsteins. Am I thinking on the right track? What does everyone else think? I have read almost every post on here in regards to the AS and Bilstein but just can't make up my mind. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I just did the Bilstiens yesterday, on sale @ shockwarehouse delivered to my door for
$377.00 did it myself in about 8 hours, the big pain is removing the top nut on the old front shock. Ford uses a nylon insert nut, and it takes a little heat and time to get the nut off. You have to drop the lower A arm, and to do that you have to take off the sway bar links. Again nylon insert nuts, and a pain. I just cut them off and put on new ones. And the straight ones are only available from Ford. If yours has the 90 degree ones those are at NAPA. Goes tomorrow for the front end alignment. My truck has 26 K and I could not believe my factory shocks where shot.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
you could settle w/ AS 2" and your truck will probably even out just fine. it's the AS 2.5" that'll more than likely sag your rear, but you could always install add-a-leaf or change your stock block to a taller one (if you're 4x2). the latter might require you to change the shock too though.

if you're up there w/ your mileage, then you might as well go for the bilsteins. if you get the right model, you can actually decide how high you want to lift the front (0", 1", 2"). i have bilsteins on my rcab 4x2 and i set it to 2". it seems the front is just a lil higher, but with my 33" tires it's hard to tell. the bilsteins are a lil stiff, but i cant say the same for the AS kit.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:56 AM
So with the Bilsteins you DO have to get the front end re-aligned after installing them ?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
It's not rocket science. A block of metal? A couple of pieces of polyurethane? Or adjustable shocks?

Metal - Raises your truck.

Polyurethane - Raises your truck. Eliminates metal on metal rubbing. Possibly dampens shock and vibration at minute levels.

Adjustable Shocks - Raises your truck. Can be adjusted for ride height. Can be adjusted for ride comfort. An upgrade from OEM shocks.

You just have to decide what is in your budget. No doubt about adjustable shocks being better than other leveling kits.

Look around. Bilstein is not the only game in town. Just like Auto Spring isn't the only source for leveling kits. You can also consider Go Rancho QuickLift and Belltech. Belltech makes lifting & lowering components, including a leveling kit.

5100 Series - Ride Height Adjustable

Zinc-plated shocks that install like factory replacement shocks and are designed to correct the factory rake. The OEM spring seat is repositioned to provide more preload to the factory spring. The result is a level front to rear ride height. An extremely simple and effective solution, offering increased wheel travel while accommodating a 33" tire.

Applications available for numerous later model Chevrolet/GMC, Dodge, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota trucks and SUVs
**Ride height varies according to application.

Lowering and Lifting Shocks
Belltech’s new lowering and lifting shocks provide you with the most efficient and flexible way to lower or raise the front end of your Ford Truck.

• customize and increase performance with just one purchase
• retain the use of stock springs
• designed for stock ride height replacement, lowering or lifting in 1” increments, up to 2”
• new “Street Performance” dampening technology

Spring Distance Spacers
Belltech’s new application specific “Spring Distance lift spacers” are manufactured by a specialized injection process. Belltech offers an exclusive spacer system engineered with spring contours to dissipate the spring load evenly over the whole spacer surface. All spacers are designed to lift your Ford Truck by 1”. This could be used to lift your factory ride height as well to adjust an existing lowering. The ease of installation makes this a great 1” lifting solution!

A one inch "Spring Distance Spacer" is inserted between the top of the shock mount and spring to lift the ride height one inch.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 AM
WOW, I've asked the same question on several threads now, and have yet to recieve an answer from anyone!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. Still thinking about my options, but your opinions are helping. If anyone else would like to add their 2 cents it would help.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by UtahFX4
WOW, I've asked the same question on several threads now, and have yet to recieve an answer from anyone!
yes you do have to get re aligned if you install the bilstiens on the 1"setting or the 2"setting

Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM
If you already have the 2" A/S and you switch to 2" Bilstein do you still need an alignment?

Quick Reply: Autospring vs. Bilstein