Left tierod loose... help

Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left tierod loose... help

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust/tighten any parts of the steering tierods on the new body style trucks? I have a 2006 f-150 4x4 with a newly installed 4" Rancho lift. I did have it aligned after the install. I am now noticing a small clunk noise from the front left and I can feel it in the steering wheel. I have narrowed it down to the left tierod. Is there an adjustment underneath the rubber boot? I didn't want to break the seals loose before I knew what was under the boot. I can physically feel something loose when I shake the tierod and when the truck is off if I shake the steering wheel from side to side I can hear a noise. It isn't at the outer tierod where it meets the knuckle, it seems to be at the joint that is under that boot. Any suggestions?
If it helps any, I rechecked all the hardware on the left side and everything is tight. This also wasn't happening right after the lift and alignment. Could something have loosened when the lift went on and it is getting worse?
(P.S. before I get the flood of: I want to see pics, or wheres the new signature with the lift, my camera stopped working on me so I will try to borrow one or get a new one soon )

Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well no replies so I dug into it a little further. Pulled back the boot and found that it is the inner tie-rod. It seems like whatever holds it in place in the rack housing may be loose? Anybody know if there is an adjustment for the inner tie-rod? I can't beleive that putting the lift on did this seeing as I only put on about 100 miles with the lift and the truck just turned 18,000. Any input on what to do next would be appreciated. I don't want to start ordering new parts only to find it may be a simple adjustment. Found this picture off the Rize website, the red arrow points to the piece that I can wiggle. This is a picture of the driver side which is the one giving me a problem.

Last edited by tmd07; 03-26-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would take it in to the garage and see what's up. when it comes to steering issues, i buy all new stuff and don't risk it. i have heard the racks wearing out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left tierod loose... help