which lift kit for a 98 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which lift kit for a 98 2wd

ok. so i've been considering getting a lift kit for a while, but was always scared cus everybody talks about how expensive they are. i started looking but still have a few more questions. i tried searching but couldnt find much about lifting a 2wd.

first, my truck is a 98 2wd with 1.5" leveling spacers. i would like my truck to be about 3" taller than it is now. i do NOT want a body lift. i'll be driving down the road and it is pretty obvious to me who has a body lift, and i just dont like them. is there anything out there that will do this? i've seen a couple of kits like fabtech's 3.5 inch spindle lift and rough country's 3" kit, but will they make my truck 3" taller than it is now, or 3" taller than it was before i put the leveling kit on it?

second, im looking at getting a set of BFG AT's. whats the biggest size i could fit on the stock rims with just the lift. someone on here said i could fit some 285/75/16's with just the leveling kit. but then i was reading on here that that's the biggest size you can fit on the rough country 3". which is right?

next, im wondering how much it would cost to install it. i'll check the local shops, but i was wondering what is a good price for installation? could i install it myself? i managed the leveling kit without a problem, but how difficult would it be to install something like this?

finally, where's the best place to find a deal on a lift kit?

thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can combine lift spindles with your coilspring spacers for an additional 3 inches of lift over what you have now. Out back, just add a lift block. I'd stick with a 33 inch tire like the 285/75-16 or 305/70-16. You see, the lift spindles are gonna increase your front track width a couple of inches (how much depends on brand of spindle) which is gonna create fitment issues.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
ok. thanks wandell. that sounds good becuase i was thinking that i could only use one so i was thinking that it would only be 2" taller than it is now.

has anybody installed one of these kits themselves or something similiar? i'd really like to know how hard it would be for me to do it myself.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
You basically remove the old spindle and instll new ones. Shouldn't be much more involved than install the coilspring spacers you have.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
ok. sounds good. i found this article, but im not sure if this is the same kit i want. it this the install of the fabtech 3.5" spindle lift?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
That's a typo. It says it's a 3.5 inch lift, but it shows them installing a 7.5 inch lift.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM
ok. thats what i thought. where's the best(cheapest) place to find both the rough country and fabtech lifts? i found them on this site, but are they gonna be cheaper anywhere else? also, on this site, whats the difference in the fabtech "3.5 inch spindle system" and the "3.5 inch spindles only"? if its gonna cost me $500 for the new shocks, then im just gonna go with the rough country 3" kit cus they're cheaper and they come with new shocks.

also, i found these directions online. its gonna be a piece of cake to install.

thanks for all the help.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...ted-9-dvd.html

See my thread.
Doetsch tech makes the spindle....it's excellent. And much cheaper....
I bought spindle only, and bolted it on w/ the 2.5 inch spacer..you will not need new shocks....

Quick Reply: which lift kit for a 98 2wd