Installing shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing shocks

I picked up some new Monroe Sensa-trac shocks for my 2001 4x4 screw (load levelers with the springs in the back, normal in the front). I set out to install them last night and had a heck of a time getting the rears compressed all the way due to the springs. I ended up getting the rears on by putting the back end on jack stands, attaching the top, using my floor jack to compress the springs, and then prying with some screw drivers to get the holes lined up. Now the fronts don't have the springs on them so are easier to compress, but I have to wonder if I'm just not aware of some trick to installing shocks? How do you guys do it? Any tips for me when I do the fronts, or should the lack of springs just make things much easier?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Are you sure you got the correct shocks? You should be able to pull the shock apart enough to connect them without even using any jacks or anything.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I questioned that also as I was doing it. I bought them at O'Reilly's and they did the part lookup for me. So last night when I was having trouble I went to shockwarehouse.com and did the lookup there for my truck - same part number. Also when I line up the old uncompressed shock that I took off next to my new one, they are very close in length so it seems like it is the correct one.

And just to clarify, I didn't have to pull it apart to get it in, I had to compress it. And I had the truck supported at the frame so that the rear axle was just "hanging" and not making things even harder.

Quick Reply: Installing shocks