Driveline problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline problems...

Got some drive line issues and I think some of them if not all are common problems, but not sure of the real fixes.

1.) As I slow down to a stop, the last 5-8 mph I have a drive line vibration.

2.) When I take off from a stop, especially in warmer weather, there is slop in the drive line. It's like things are loose and takes seconds for the slop to catch up. I replaced the slip yoke, but not much different. Was wondering if it is in the rearend, u-joints, or maybe that is just they way they are. I have the 9.75 rear axle and is 2 wheel drive with the 5.4 with 108k miles on it.

Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated..

Barry

Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 AM
Hey Barry, what kind of truck do you have? lift? I have a 99 f150 v8. I have 7.5 inches of lift on the suspension and 3 on body. The problem you have sounds similar to one I had a while ago. I have the 8.8 rear end with 4.88 gears and running 35" tires(have had 37s and 36s). I kept hearing a noise that seemed to have come from the differential/yoke. The noise deminished once I swapped out my differential gears ($400). I still kept getting a vibration/grinding noise. The red bushing on my transmission kept popping out at high speeds and leaking mercon V, I was told it was because the distance between the transmission and differential had increased significantly. I was told by fabtech that the tail of the transmission has a copper bushing inside it that needs to be replaced. The flopping of the loose driveshaft causes wear and tear on it. I did some more research, many told me I needed to have my driveshaft lengthened, others told me that was obsurd and would cost over $1000. I looked everywhere for an easy fix (driveshaft spacer). Nobody knew of one for my make and model. A shop I went to in Ontario CA had a spacer of an unknown vehicle lying around with the serial number CC40DVS-S engraved on it. They were almost positive it was for a ford. When I researched the number, it turned out to be a front driveshaft spacer skyjacker makes for a chevy colorado/canyon. It is 4 inches in diameter but the holes will not line up with the factory holes on my model truck. I had a local shop mark and drill 4 holes into the spacer so that they could match up. The spacer has a "lip" which I grinded down so the driveshaft could sit flush. I got the spacer for about $20, I don't know how much skyjacker sells it for. Sorry so long of a reply, but I'm just tryin to help out. This problem caused me to blow my transmission and replace the transmission's tail 4/5 times at $150 each. Close to 2 grand Who knows, maybe your driveshaft is just lose. Crawl under there and give it a good shake with your hands, if it budges, then go from there. I have pictures of the spacer install on my truck if you're wondering what it looks like. From what I know, I have the only 150 with a driveshaft spacer. Oh ya, that spacer fixed vibration problems at higher speeds and eliminated all that oil leaking.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I am stock suspension 2wd. I have crawled under the truck and checked things and everything seems to be tight. But there seems to be slop in the ring and pinion. I can sometimes grab the drive shaft and move it back and forth, meaning rotation, not end to end.

Did I read somewhere that there is special grease for the slip yoke that Ford sells? I have went to two Ford dealers parts departments and they know nothing about it.

Barry

Quick Reply: Driveline problems...