torsion bar crank questions

Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torsion bar crank questions

well unfortunatly the 6 inch fabtech i was about to order isn't going to happen for a few reasons, mostly because i can't afford to do it right (gears(a must cause i tow a lot), tires, wheels, etc) so i settled for a torsion bar crank.
after competeing the torsion bar crank this afternoon, i have a question. i counted the threads exposed on the bottom of the adjusting bolts before and after starting
Before: L= 7 R=10
After: L=2 R=4

this just doesn't seem right to me i would have thought that they would have been equal in ratio (ie: after L=2 R=5). Both sides were cranked exactly the same, 6 full rotations. The height gains measure up to withing a little less than quarter inch, so i just figured it was measuring errors. Any suggestions, is this common??? truck is now sitting level, i gained 2" over stock. It will go for alignment tomorrow as i assume it will be pretty far off.

truck is 00 f150

thanks for all help!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably miscounted. It's common for them to have a different amount of preload so don't sweat it.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Yep, torsion bolts aren't going to be seated the same.

As long as you cranked the same number of turns for both sides, you're fine. And good idea getting an alignment ASAP.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are putting waaay too much thought into this than required. Here's what I've done on three truck and zero issues what so ever...crank both sides up full to the stops (til you bottom out the bolt) Look at the truck, take measurements or what ever to determine if one side his higher than the other. Take the high side and lower it just enough to make it level side-to-side. You're done. Do not worry about how many threads are showing vs one side or the other.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Galaxy
good info, would this apply to uncranking aswell?
i let out all the way down and have been cranking up equal amount of turns to eliminate a hard metal to metal knock on bumps (even slight bumps). i am holding out on alignment as i await new tires.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, this theory is sound in either direction. Raise or lower it to where you want and just level it side to side to your liking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torsion bar crank questions