New Rub Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Rub Question

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help. Here's the history. Roughly 40,000 miles ago I got new tires and wheels on my 2002 FX4 SuperCrew. They are 305/55/20's on 20x10 Motto's. Obviously I knew there would be some rub issues so prior to the wheels and tires being put on, I had my torsion bars cranked up and new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks put on. They also did the appropriate valence trimming. Put the new tires on and the only rub I'd get was at full crank on the inside back edge of whichever tire was pointed outward. That was to be expected and no big deal. After a few thousand miles, enough rubber had been worn off that I didn't have any rub at all. Sweet. So recently, I noticed a catch in the front end at low speeds when turning right. Was like something was binding and releasing. Took it in and also examined and couldn't figure it out. Today, finally noticed it. The front right tire is catching/rubbing on the bumper valence corner when turning right. So my question is, what changed? Why is this rubbing now? Is my suspension going out? Did the right side torsion bar slip a bit? Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how high were the torsion bars cranked? fully? cranking them up all the way increases the stress on them by stretching them out. over time, this causes them to sag, and thus, may be the reason for the decrease in ride height.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by minimonster17
how high were the torsion bars cranked? fully? cranking them up all the way increases the stress on them by stretching them out. over time, this causes them to sag, and thus, may be the reason for the decrease in ride height.
Thanks for the quick response. I believe they were almost cranked all the way but not quite. Is there a reason one side would sag more than the other? And if this is the case, what do I do to remedy? New torsion bars? A little more crank? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is weird. Take some measurements and see if one side is lower.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
check your ball joints, and sway bar end links. They really arent thought to adjust ride heigth but if they are "going out" they can and will cause sag. So will OLD torsion bars

if you are gonna get new torsion bars id go with the 7700 series they are tougher.

ive gone though both of these situations. Once with the sway bar end links, once with the ball joints, and now with bent torsion bars.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Ok. So here's an update. I was wrong about how the rub is occurring so now I'm even more confused. I assumed yesterday that I had figured it out. Tough to figure out what the rub is when I'm the driver and no one is around. So this morning I backed out of the driveway and then cranked my wheel to the right to pull forward. Moved a little bit, felt the "catch" and stopped the truck. Left it in that position and got out. Well its not the right front tire catching on the front valence. Couldn't be further away! I am receiving a rub on that valence at some point but that is not the issue of my catch and binding that I feel only when I make slow right turns. Any thoughts on what the problem might be. This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it turns out your torsion bars are sagging, the only remedy is to replace them. i have an extra set for sale, if you're interested...

Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it actually be a ball joint or CV joint binding?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks Wandell. I don't think its a ball joint because I just replaced the upper and lower on both fronts, November of 2007. How would I know if its a CV joint? Anything I would be able to see? My boss at work suggested a wheel hub going bad. Is that possible? I have 112,000 miles on my truck. It only happens when I turn right and at slow speeds and its a bit moody. I wish I could create it absolutely every time. But it seems to disappear when I take it in to have it looked at. Also on a side note, how can I tell if my torsion bars are going bad? Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Sorry to be a pain, any thoughts? If I'm gonna take it in, I want to know what to have them look at. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New Rub Question