Replacing Shocks/Springs 02 f150 Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Shocks/Springs 02 f150 Supercrew

Hi All,

Hoping for a little advice here. I need to replace the shocks and likely springs on my 02 f150 supercrew 4x4 with 250,00km’s. I would like to go with a combination that will provide the plushest ride quality possible for a solid rear axle truck. I have been thinking of putting bilstein shocks on front and rear and going with f150 lightening leaf’s for the rear (if I can find some) or maybe removing a spring. I am unsure of the softest shocks available for the front. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg but still want a nice ride. The existing shocks are worn out and need replacement. I figure I might as well get something that is going to give me the best ride since i have to spend the money now anyways. I have owned the truck for a few years and its paid for. So I would rather spend a little money making it ride better then trading it for a gmc or Chevrolet with natively better ride characteristics from the factory.

Looking for some advice and suggestions as to the best approach here. I do not carry much for weight in the box – sometimes my atv. Typically I pull a two place atv trailer, so softening the rear springs really wont impact my load capacity.

Thanks guys

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I would first try just replacing the shock with Biltsteins. You are prob just riding on the springs and the shocks arent doing much.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Good point. I thought of that after the fact. What shocks are going to give the softest ride? I do not haul much any more and tow under 3000lbs only a couple times a month.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by a_user
I would rather spend a little money making it ride better then trading it for a gmc or Chevrolet with natively better ride characteristics from the factory.
You are funny. Have you tried a Chevy?

I have Bilsteins on mine and they are great. Much better than stock.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
my dad just replaced his original 10 year old 130K shocks on his 99 F250 superduty and it was noticeably smoother. He went with the bilstein 5100 i believe.

You could take some tension off the torsion bars which will lower it a little but should make the front softer. But thats another story

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bilsteins are NOT going to give you the softest ride. They'll completely transform the way your truck rides and handles but it will not be plush.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Folmar150
You could take some tension off the torsion bars which will lower it a little but should make the front softer. But thats another story
Unfortunately, that's just not the case. Reducing the preload on the torsion bars reduces the ride height, but does not change the spring rate. It's spring rate that determines how 'soft' the ride will be, and adjusting the preload on the bars doesn't change the spring rate of the bars.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Replacing Shocks/Springs 02 f150 Supercrew