Lifted 2wd Front End Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted 2wd Front End Questions

I have an 02' 2wd Supercab with 3" lift spindles and a 1.5" coilspacers. My front end is starting to make some noise and I think its time for some attention. I definetly need new shocks as I still have the originals, but I think I would also like to replace all the bushings and prob ball joints and stuff since i have 113K on the truck now. Also thinking about new aftermarket control arms that allow for more lift, so I could gain another inch or two with lift springs or a little bigger spacer (wont combine - one or the other). Not sure where to get the arms or what ones to get. My last question, is Bilstein looks like they make a 5100 series shock for my application that might work really well, but Ive heard bilsteins tend to ride pretty stiff which Id like to avoid if possible. Any help or advice would be great!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are about at the limit. I'd suggest adding a body lift or just replace your current seup with a 6 or 7.5 inch Fabtech lift.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I agree with wandell.

Also, find out what is making noise before you go replacing random parts. No need to replace shocks and busings when your front shock just needed some attention and lube. Find out whats wrong, and fix that.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
for the upper a arms look at the big companies, fabtech, cst, h&m, etc. i know springtech makes new upper arms but ive heard mixed reviews of them. as for the bilsteins. i have them on the rear of my truck with a 3" block and they ride fine. stiffer than stock but not bad for a mainly unloaded bed. im going to get some for the front soon as their still the stockers.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
thanks for the imput guys, I realize I am pretty much the limit with the stock uca's but I thought there were aftermarket uppers that allowed for up to 3" lift springs? I really only want one more inch (a body lift would make it too big, and Id rather save the money spent for a fabtech or something for a long travel front end down the road (like an H&M kit). As far as figuring out what is wrong, I am pretty sure its the shocks because it has gradually started hitting the limit more and doesnt feel as controlled, plus I would just think after this many miles stuff is starting to wear out but I could be wrong. Maybe Ill just start with shocks and an alignment and see how it is, I just hate to do that and then find out I need something else and have to pay for another alignment. Madmax are you running the 5100 series bilsteins for our lift setup or just the regular ones?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I gotcha. But check the bushings first. The urethane bushing are a nice upgrade, firm some things up a bit. I just didn't want to to buy it, just to buy it, ya know ? Make sure your bushings are gone, or check to see if there is any cracking or breaking apart. See how much play they have. When it comes down to it, its not all that expensive to buy new bushings, and if your replace ones that didn't need replacing, its not like your doing any harm, ya know ? So, your call on that one. You know your truck much better then we do !

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
im running the lift ones, the silver ones, not the blue and yellow ones. i went to the 4wheelparts website and filled all of the info out including rear with 3" lift, they showed up and fit great. just saving the 140 for the fronts now.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 PM
hey guys Im def appreciating the info! Ill have to take another look at the bushings, but I think they have already started cracking. As for the shocks,I am not totally sure if its them, but based on what ive heard and how its acting I think it is. Where should I look for a bushing kit, urethane or even just rubber replacements? I am not looking to spend anymore than I have to, but at the same time, Ive decided to keep the truck till it dies (and then it will become a long travel desert truck) so I want to get the front end working the way it should again and finish modding it...if it ever ends! Also as far as the lift shocks are concerned, I think you only put how much spring / spacer lift you are running correct? I dont think the spindles change the geometry at all so they wouldnt affect the shocks right?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
correct, the spindle doesnt change any of that. i have coil spacers so i would get front shocks designed for 2"s of lift instead of the total 5.5"s

Quick Reply: Lifted 2wd Front End Questions