Clueless when it comes to suspension lifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clueless when it comes to suspension lifts

Hey everyone...I have a 2005 Black F150 FX4 Supercrew...and I want to lift it. I know very little about suspension lifts, and I don't want to get ripped off when I walk into one of those places...especially being a girl. I race motocross and I'm often loading my bike in the bed, therefore I don't want too large of a lift. I just want something to set it apart from the other trucks. What is a good way to go and how much should I expect to spend? And then what about tires? I want something practical, but sweet at the same time. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well a leveling kit sounds like your best bet. it would level your truck out and let you run 33's or 35's.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 PM
okay, you can do a couple of things:
you can level it with a 2.5" leveling kit and clear 33's on soe aftermarket wheels with a minor backspacing. or fit 35's on stock wheels.

You can get a Rancho 4" suspension lift and clear 35's on aftermarket wheels

You can get a 6" that a couple companies make and clear 35's on aftermarket wheels

or you can get an 8" Rize and clear 37's.

4" rancho is around $1200
6" procomp Stage I lift $1300
6" Fabtech stage one is around $1600
6" Fabtech with DL coilovers is about $2400
8" Rize is around $2700

Now if your getting it installed it will probably be around $500-$700

Wheels and tires could be all different prices. I would say get Toyos. they are my favorite tires but they are also the most expensive.

For some 35's your looking around $1600

And wheels and go from $500-$2000 or more depending on what you want.

I wouldnt go over 35's because if you do you need to regear and that can ger costly

Dont level it. everyone does that. its not different haha. me and my buddy load a 250 and a 450 in my bed a couple times a month. and its a little bit of a pain but nothing that cant be done.

Last edited by Eff One Fifty; 02-18-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
i think the 4" rancho is more around the $1600.00 price range, not including shocks or install.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Lift kits could vary in price. Figure out which kit you want, then search diligently. Also, check with the shop you plan on doing the installation at to see if they can sell you the kit, install the kit, sell & install the wheels & tires, and re-gear the truck for a nice bundle package price. If you can negotiate a decent "out-the-door" quote, then you won't have to stay up all night looking at google to save an extra dollar.

I was able to piece together different parts from different sources. My rims were about $100 from Summit Racing. My 35" tires were less $200 from OnlineTires.com. I got steering stabilizers from Amazon.com. My Mag-Hytec differential cover came from a diesel shop. My gears were found @ my local dealership who also happens to be a Ford Racing Performance Parts dealer.

blah, blah, blah

In hindsight, it would have just been easier negotiating one price for everything. But, there is money to be saved if you try hard enough.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mxgirl676
Hey everyone...I have a 2005 Black F150 FX4 Supercrew...and I want to lift it. I know very little about suspension lifts, and I don't want to get ripped off when I walk into one of those places...especially being a girl. I race motocross and I'm often loading my bike in the bed, therefore I don't want too large of a lift. I just want something to set it apart from the other trucks. What is a good way to go and how much should I expect to spend? And then what about tires? I want something practical, but sweet at the same time. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I understand. I ride also and loading my pitbike and my son's bike in the back of my truck is a pain. What we need is a motorcycle trailor!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want your truck to look even remotely unique, don't do a body lift, or don't level it w/ 33's. save up for a 6'' lift, pro comp stage 1 if you're on a tight budget, or a 6'' fabtech (more preferred, better overall construction.)

w/ a 6'' lift, you will need 35'' tires to be in proportion. Good A/T tires include the BFG A/T, Toyo A/T, and Nitto Terra Grappler. Good M/T tires include the BFG KM2, and the Toyo M/T. The smallest rim you can use on your truck is a 17'' wheel.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys. If there's not a huge price difference in an 4" and 6" lift...I might as well go with the 6" in. I'm not going to cheap out on this stuff, so I want something good....but like I said practical. What's a good way to go with a 6" lift? With 35's...will that be too big for almost every day driving?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, 6 inches and 35's is a great combo on a daily driver. I'd suggest the Fabtech lift.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
i think you will be fine loading bikes with a 6" lift/35's.... reason i say this is cause i did it all the time. granted, its not as easy as it could be, but if you ride/race/jump, then riding up a ramp into a lifted truck is a piece of cake. i used a 2"x10" psi treated oak plank that i used, and it was about 6' long. if you get an 8' length ramp, then i would think that you would have no problem at all. dont worry about it being too long. afterall, its not like the bike will fit in the beds, so you have to leave the tailgate down anyhow. (unless you have the long bed ).

as for the lift itself, there are a lot of options available. my personal suggestion (and some will differ) is to FIRST PICK YOUR WHEELS !!! then, when you get a set that you like, THEN PICK A LIFT THAT IS COMPATIBLE FOR THOSE WHEEL SPECS !!! afterall, the lifts will all create the same advantages with small differences in quality/pricing/etc.... but they dont all allow for every wheel type.

for tires, i have run a few sets of pro-comp mud terrains now, and i love them. plus, if you wait a couple months, you will probably get a great deal (buy 3 get 1 free usually runs in april and october).

im not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but if you want to save some money on installation, get a friend or 2 and do it yourself. it really isnt hard if you have the tools/space to do the work.

goodluck with whatever you decide on.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I would say that if you want to do something unique then you need to go with 8" of lift and 37's. A few people on here run that combo but it's not often you see it in person. The standard when it comes to lifting is a 6" and 35's. The 8"/37's combo will put you 3" higher but it shouldn't be much harder to get your bike that extra 3". The problem is that you'll have to spend another $1500 or so to regear your rearend with 4.88's. If you choose the 8" route I suggest the Rize Industries 8" kit and the wheel/tire combo of your choice. Best to go with an 18or20x10" wheel with 4.5" of backspacing and some 37x13.5" tires. Id say all together, for wheels/tires, lift,gears and install you're going to spend somewhere around $7000-$8000. If you go with the 6"/35's combo then either go with the Pro Comp or Fabtech lift. 18x9's with 4.5"-5" of bs and 35x12.5" tires. You won't have to regear but if you do then go with 4.56 gears. You'll probably spend about $4000-$5000 for the wheels/tires, lift and install and an additional $1500 or so if you choose to regear.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
i used a leveling kit and an add a leaf and i fit 285/65/20's
its a nice boost in height and the ride is still good, looks aggressive too. i load my bike in it with a ramp and its not to bad.

this pic is without the add a leaf

Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by tlt008
I would say that if you want to do something unique then you need to go with 8" of lift and 37's. A few people on here run that combo but it's not often you see it in person. The standard when it comes to lifting is a 6" and 35's. The 8"/37's combo will put you 3" higher but it shouldn't be much harder to get your bike that extra 3".
he is right on this, i only know of 2 other guys with lifted trucks in my area that are running a 37" tire or bigger.

35's are so common, out of the lifted class ( the real lifted class, not the leveled people) 99% of them are running 35's

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
The RIZE kit is unique, but the cost will slowly creep up on you. Towing as often as you most likely do, or hauling should I say, your going to need to regear. Thats close to $1600 or more. Then the kit is pricey. Then you need bigger tires, 37's or so. Again, costly. Wheels are wheels either way.

Then how practical is it ? Going to be harder to load/unload anything. And thats what your trying to avoid, so I think the rize is out, but its up to you !

I would say Fabtech 6" lift. If you want a nice quality ride, get the dirt logics front and rear. Now your closer to the $2300 range or so. New wheels and tires, and then drive it ! much more practical that way. I love the look of these trucks with the 6"/35" tires combo. Looks awesome. Will definately set you apart. Different wheels, different backspacing, all make your truck unique. Not just how tall the tires are.

Later down the road you can look into regearing (yes, contrary to what this site believes, you SHOULD regear when running 35" tires. Not necessary, but never is. Will simply extend the life of your transmission and your truck will thank you for it. Plus, gives you more "umph" off the line, which is always fun !

Then you can look into custom tunes from one of many programmers.

and the list goes on and on and on !

Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
That would be bad *** to go with an 8" lift...but it's not very practical for me. :-/ Maybe one day when I'm rich and can afford two trucks. =) So for now I'm sticking with the 6". I dated a guy for a while who had a ram 1500...with a BDS lift and 35" Mickey Thompsons...(not sure which ones)...but they seemed to do pretty well for him. What are some good QUALITY tires that aren't extremely expensive? Someone mentioned starting the whole process off by picking the wheels....is that a good way to start?

Quick Reply: Clueless when it comes to suspension lifts