Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joints

Just replaced my CV shaft and noticed that my ball joints.. upper and lower will need to be replaced on each side. 120k on truck so its about time. I'm not a suspension expert. My mechanic will do it but I will bring him parts. It's a 1998 with 4wd. From searching i've found theres several different brands. I would prefer the sealed ones. What parts will I need to complete this?? Thanks!
Sean

Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
For lowers you can get the ball joints by themselves. I'd suggest spicer or moog, both are have a zerk fitting for gease. For uppers, the ball joints are one piece with the upper control arms so you will buy upper control arms with the ball joints in them. Again I'd suggest spicer or moog. Check out rockauto(dot)com for prices. If you don't already have the camber bolts so you can get a proper alignment after everything is done.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey thanks for the reply Looks like I will be buying:

Two Upper Control Arms
Two Lower Ball Joints

Also camber bolts? This is the first I've heard of these. is this something I will need to replace or can I reuse? Thanks again!
Sean

Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
camber bolts can be reused for the life of the truck, its what bolts the UCA (upper control arm) to the frame, and helps to get the vehicle aligned

Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Unless already replaced, the camber bolts are not adjustable from the factory to adjust the alignment. They have plates that bolt in. I have had luck with making sure they are exactly as taken apart during installation. They should be a stock item at your local dealer or alignment shop, though.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints