How Do the Bilstein 5100's Work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do the Bilstein 5100's Work?

As many of you well know, I'm having an awful time getting my shocks installed. My local mechanic installed the front shocks, but he set the shocks at the 0" setting.

I've finally found a shop that can take them back off and re-set the shocks to the 2" setting. I'm just wondering how these shocks work. What will this next mechanic have to do to make the settings work? Does the shock get made bigger or is the coil just made to sit higher?

What exactly will the mechanic have to do once he gets the shock off?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same problem, the idiots at the dealer put it at the 0" level as I requested they're adjusted how I want them to be, just install them...

Theres clips that the spring sits at which gives the height. The clips are attached into the mid length of the strut shaft. Lower setting is the 0" lift, upper is 2".

Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Theres clips that the spring sits at which gives the height. The clips are attached into the mid length of the strut shaft. Lower setting is the 0" lift, upper is 2".
Ok, so all they have to do is move the clips that the spring sits on to the upper position and thats it?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by cbarronx23
Ok, so all they have to do is move the clips that the spring sits on to the upper position and thats it?
Yes. They come shipped at the 2" setting, so discuss the struts purpose and settings before he works on it. You will also need re-aligned afterwards.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I hope they knew German when they read the instruction's!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem, the idiots at the dealer put it at the 0" level as I requested they're adjusted how I want them to be, just install them...

spot on...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Well guys, keep your fingers crossed. My truck is at the new shop right now and I explained them everything in detail about what they have to do. The only thing I didn't tell them is how to take the clips off and move them from the one ring to the other (I hope they can figure that out for themselves).

I feel like I know just about everything about these shocks now, thanks to the stupid first shop messing up my truck.

Fingers crossed........

Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, just got a call from the mechanic.... they don't have a compressor strong enough to compress the front springs. He also mentioned that he called a few of the other shops he regularly does business with and none of them could do it either.

It really looks like I'm running out of options here. This is getting sooooo frustrating you have no idea.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Good Luck! I installed mine the other day, not too difficult.

I had another groove machined in my shocks for 1.5" setting.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by cbarronx23
Well, just got a call from the mechanic.... they don't have a compressor strong enough to compress the front springs. He also mentioned that he called a few of the other shops he regularly does business with and none of them could do it either.

It really looks like I'm running out of options here. This is getting sooooo frustrating you have no idea.
If I were you I would have given the original installing shop hell about setting them at the 0" I requested to my dealers manager that they fix mine for free and agreed to pay for alignment and the first job. I also tipped the manager for his excellent service.

The dealership usually is the best place to have it done since they have the superman power strut compresser.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 AM

The dealership usually is the best place to have it done since they have the superman power strut compresser.
I used my bare hands to compress the coils.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 PM
If I were you I would have given the original installing shop hell about setting them at the 0" I requested to my dealers manager that they fix mine for free and agreed to pay for alignment and the first job. I also tipped the manager for his excellent service.

1. The original shop didn't have a compressor strong enough to install them at the 2" setting.

2. My dealer won't touch it because they consider it "aftermarket."

I'm about to take it to a place called Hackensack Auto Spring & Tire and I know they specialize in all this stuff. I also know they handle a lot of BIG truck jobs so I would assume they would have the tools necessary to complete the job.

I will let you all know how I make out this time, although most of you are probably bored with me and my boring problems haha.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
YES! It is done. The last shop came through. Got my new tires on now and everything!

Here's a pic of it all done. I'll get more and post a new thread when it stops snowing.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
woa! Looks great! congrats! I'm glad to hear you finally found the shop to take it to!

Are thoes 285/65/r20's? I have essentially the same truck as you and Im lookin at those.

Quick Reply: How Do the Bilstein 5100's Work?