Info needed on 2wd lift Prerunner 'ive searched'

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info needed on 2wd lift Prerunner 'ive searched'

Ok guys need some info. I just picked up a 98 f150 std cab stx. I want to lift it and get that prerunner look going so i looked around and found pro comp has a 6" system that looks ok. RCD has a 6" system that looks good. fabtech doesn't has a system for 2wd because there one kit doesnt work with std cabs v6's . camburg has an awsome 6" system. So a couple of questions is a 3-5 inch block going to really level the back with the front. They all come with different size blocks. Ive found Deaver leaf springs for 6" leaf springs would that level the truck with the front. Are there any other leaf springs? What are people doing out there to the rears of 2wd to level them with 6-7" lifts Any other recommendations on any other kits or things i should know?

Thanks guys lets hear the input

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I am using a 5 inch rear block with a 2inch leveling kit. Some people use an AAL for the rear also

Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Im running like 5.5" in the front with spindles and coil spacers with a 3" block. It sits very level, but I want to lift the front one more inch but have to go with UCA's to do it so that one inch isnt cheap. I really liked the stance with a 2" block but when I went with bigger tires it just didnt look right (especially if I put any weight in the bed) Aside from that it was a very inexpensive setup and still drives like its bone stock.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I have a CST lift w/ fox shocks and love it (I also got my 3" body lift and it looks awesome i now have 10" total and it drives awesome for that high), however my kit is the 7" performance kit that they dont make any more(new upper control arm, 3.5" lift coil, and 3.5" spindle, stock lower control arm still used). I have had no trouble with it and am very happy with the V6 coils that came with the kit and the very strong upper a-arms.

Anyways, fabtech still makes a 7.5" crossmember lift that they say doesn't work on the v6 but I have heard of people running it on the v6's and it working fine.(has to do with the coil rate)(uses stock upper and lower control arms)

CST still make an awesome 7" long travel kit that untilizes the stock coil pocket or one that removes the stock pocket and uses a shock hoop with fox coil over with uni-ball joints instead of standard ball joints which is very strong and allows awesome up and down travel.(replaces lower and upper control arms)

RCD makes a good lift also but it is only 6" lift, similar deasign to fabtech with the drop down crossmember(stock upper and lower control arms used)

Camburg also makes some crazy long travel kits that run about $6,000 for parts not installed(stock upper and lower control arms are replaced)
However they recently released this very cool mild long travel kit that I really like, it has the old discontinued cst and fabtech control arm lift design, but untilizes a uni-ball in place of the ball joint and the factory bump stop on the frame is cut off and limiting straps are used instead. (new upper control arm, and uses stock lower control arm)
hereis a pic of the new mild travel camburg lift It is only $2000 or $2400 installed!

springtech makes a control arm lift that I think is very cheap, I have heard good and bad about their coils and not much good about their LIFT a-arms in the kit (weak welds, not thick enough metal tubing used on upper control arm)

there are also body lifts coil spacers, and the 3.5" spindle lift that are cheaper and faster install
also any of these lift kits will wear out suspension components faster than stock, it is a good idea to frequently check and grease idler arm tie rod ends ball joints,(if you dont have a lift with the new uni-ball design), and dont forget to overlook the upper and lower control arm bushings
I cant wait to get the CST long travel coil over on my truck around christmas hopefully

Old 11-08-2008, 08:00 PM
hey jjber_70 do you have to weld a mount for those stearing dampeners? What kind of gearing are you running with 35"s 4:10 or 4:56 ? and another question with the fabtech is that it said it doesnt work with std cabs because of the drop torsion bar brackets or something? and how did you lift your rear? Your truck looks perfect!

Last edited by Cosmonut; 11-08-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes, the brackets on the center crossmember are homemade and are welded to the crossmember, I made the kit myself because there arent any dual dampener options for our 2wd trucks. I am also running 4.30 gears, and they seem perfect to me, a little higher top speed than the 4.56's, and better gas mileage than 4.56 but still enough get up and go. I also thought there was a guy on fordtruckworld that was running the fabtech 7.5" on his v6? I thought the only difference was the spring rate was more for reg and extended and crew V8's but now im not sure after what you said, would be something to look into though. i lifted the rear with 4" blocks but i am switching to deaver spring packs as soon as I have some extra money. I am saving for deaver springs, Lightning headlights and an HID conversion right now, should have them by christmas, i am also building some custom traction bars and a tire gate, all will be installed by me over my winter break from college, I have about a two month break and I cant wait to start working on my truck again after i get out of school.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
hey jjber_70
do know how much longer the upper arms were over stock?
In your lift.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:37 AM
I dont, but I can give you the measurements and you can compare them to your stockers if you still have them on your pickup, ill post the dimension of the upper a-arm tomorrow for you. The CST arms are VERY nice quality, the particular lift I have is identical to the mild travel camburg, CST has discontinued this lift in favor of several different long travel options they offer, too bad though it is a good low/mild travel lift, and has been great on my pickup

rathf150 are you looking to lift your truck too?

Cosmonut, I have heard a lot of good things about the 97-03 2wd F150 RCD lift kit, I would go for that one! My buddy has a 6" RCD on his Tundra and it is a damn nice lift, we have put it through the paces wheelin it hard, then hitting the highway and driving home with no problems.

Last edited by jjber_70; 11-11-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
yes im looking into a 3in spring lift and maybe a bodylift. i was looking a springtech but looking at what you said about their arms i don't think i want to go with them. So i was thinking about adding lenth to my stock arm and reinforcing them. I have good access to welders and machining tools.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by RathF150
yes im looking into a 3in spring lift and maybe a bodylift. i was looking a springtech but looking at what you said about their arms i don't think i want to go with them. So i was thinking about adding lenth to my stock arm and reinforcing them. I have good access to welders and machining tools.
The springtech arms are not very good, but if you do a 3" spindle lift, you dont need new control arms, then you could do a 3" body lift with that for 6" total.
The springtech spindle lift is nice and looks to be good quality madmaxwell on v6150.com is running the springtech spindles and they are nice. They only way you will need longer upper comtrol arms is if you go over two inches when lifting the coils, so if you used like a 3.5" lift coil or a coil spacer over 2" then you need longer control arms. The spindle lift just lowers the position of where the spindle is cast 3.5" to achieve the lift it doesnt affect the spring heaight at all which is why longer control arms arent needed.

madmaxwell is runnning the 3.5" lift spindles and 1.5" daystar spacers(still under the limit for new upper control arms?), with stock upper control arms also think he has 3" blocks in the rear.
http://www.v6f150.com/forums/showthr...t=15288&page=4

Last edited by jjber_70; 11-11-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I've looked at spindles too, can't really choose between the spindle or spring. The spindles are cheaper and i can put a spacer on top too but, My truck has been know to get alittle air every once in awhile so i was leaning toward the springs

Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Suspended
if you wanting a true pre runner look into a camburg or total chaos long travel kit. if your just wanting it lifted which it sounds like choose what seems to fit your needs the best

Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
if i had money for a setup like that i'd get it in a heartbeat. I want the looks of lifting but i want it to work better when offroading also. Thats yeah im leaning toward the springs and arms over the spindles. Which don't help with susp. just move the wheel down.I would like to do both but i don't have the money for 35's.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Is the RCD 6" considered long travel? Not all lifts say that. I'm new to suspension, but very interested.

Quick Reply: Info needed on 2wd lift Prerunner 'ive searched'