New CV joints from rockauto

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CV joints from rockauto

Hey folks, well after milking the OEMs for as far as the boots would allow, I ordered new CV shafts from rockauto, A1cardone's new shafts at $50 a piece. I thought a hell of a deal! Anyways, I installed them today, all went very very well with the walk through I got.

Anyways, pics of the old joints, they had a little odd play in them the new ones did not, so I suspect that was from the grease loss from the deteriorating boots.

Passenger side closeup, notice I had to use a pipe clamp, the OEM clamp rotted and the boot went with it.

Drivers side outer boot starting to rot away.

Anyone think it would be a decent idea to get the old set price checked for a rebuild (so I have them for spares or is that a dumb idea?) or is it just cheaper to do what I did...probably won't have to buy another set, I believe these just rotted because of the low miles and stationary nature of the truck before I got it. (sitting and moisture=not good).

Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey guys, I just noticed on the new cv joints, the driver side new unit, is it ok for the join to move in and out like towards and away from the joint socket? It doesn't move much, but it does move, the passenger side doesn't move as much as it does, I checked all bolts and nuts, all tight.

Does this mean the new joint is shot?!?!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't know.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 AM
I think I'm gonna send it back to them and ask for a replacement.Tell them it seemed loose out of the box....which it was, Since the other one is no way doing what this assembly is doing. It moves enough to make a 'clack' noise.

Quick Reply: New CV joints from rockauto