Getting a lift, Im gathering that i need to re-gear, any other surprizes???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting a lift, Im gathering that i need to re-gear, any other surprizes???

Im looking into gettin a 6'' lift and about 35'' tires on my ''07'' 5.4 4x4. Reading around the site im figuring that im going to need to regear. what gears should i be looking for exactly?

And are there any other driveline upgrades i will need to do? I already have intake and exhuast mods done, and superchips tuning.

This is going to be the first time ive lifted a truck so im not very knowledgeable in this area, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regearing is always a good idea when you install taller tires, but you may be able to get by without it, at least temporarily. You already said you have the 5.4 engine. If you have 3.73 gears and don't tow/haul heavy loads, you can probably get by without regearing. If you go with the Fabtech, RCD or Rize kit, it should have everything you need.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I would re-gear if I were you keeps un-necessary strain off the trans. If you are planning on running no bigger then a 35" tire I would go with 4.56's any bigger and then step up to 4.88's. Here is a link on re-gearing. The first half will show you how its done but on the second page I posted some extra info concerning info on the gears themselves and what all is needed for an install.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...p-rev-1-a.html

Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM

ya you don't have to re gear but it will be a major boost of get-up if you do.

so you will probably want to.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:52 PM
ok thanks ufuehrin, i read your instructions and have decided that is a job im going to have done professionally so it has some sort of warranty, cuz ill probably F it up.

ok one more stupid question.. Is there front gears that i need to change out also or just the rear end?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM

If you have a 4x4 then yes there is another set you have to change out in the front. Odds are you have an 8.8 differential up front. You will need to go with the same ratio gear as you do in the back but make sure it is reverse cut.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM

ya if you have a 4x4 you need to do the front also.

Quick Reply: Getting a lift, Im gathering that i need to re-gear, any other surprizes???