In need of help lifting my '03 Screw Fx4

Old 07-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of help lifting my '03 Screw Fx4

Hi all -
I'm now looking into lifting my '03 Screw Fx4 and need some assistance. I'm a newbie to it so please bear with my newbie questions (LOL).

I'm looking to have at least 35" tires (mudd grapps perhaps) for that ultra aggressive look. However I don't know the size of lift I should be looking at. I don't particularly fancy the look of just a body lift and 35's as I'm looking for a nice well gap between the tire and fender. In retrospect, I also don't like the look when some lift their trucks yet keep small tires on (too much gap and the sknny tires don't look right). I guess I need the perfect balance of big tires and still have somewhat of a gap in there.

I saw a similar truck to mine in a parking lot the other day and it looked oh so nice. I stood next to the bed and the top of the bed came to about my forehead (I'm 5ft 7"). The gas shocks up front looked awesome too.

If anyone has pics of their trucks with a similar setup to what I'm looking for that would be great. In addition, any advice would be welcome.

Oh and yes I plan on changing the gearing to accomodate the bigger tires.

Thanks!
EC

Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM
look at a Fabtech 6" then.

btw I'm lifting my 01 4x4 screw now. 6" + 3" body. the bottom of the window and the bed come up to my chin (I'm 6'2"). Here's a quick picture (I'm still working on it, should be finished today)

I ran a 6" on 33's and it gave my truck that look you're talking about with too little tire, too much gap. I think with some big 35's, it should fill that gap nicely.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:16 PM
i dont have any pictures. but a 6" susp. lift sounds perfect for what you want. but idk if you'd need those gas reservoir shocks unless you'll be doing some serious offroading

Old 07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
look at a Fabtech 6" then.

btw I'm lifting my 01 4x4 screw now. 6" + 3" body. the bottom of the window and the bed come up to my chin (I'm 6'2"). Here's a quick picture (I'm still working on it, should be finished today)

I ran a 6" on 33's and it gave my truck that look you're talking about with too little tire, too much gap. I think with some big 35's, it should fill that gap nicely.
Thanks. I love that look in the pic you attached. What size tires are you running on that? OK here's my newbie question...is the 3" body lift so that you can clear those tires?

Thanks

And I just saw a pic of a black F150 here with an 8" lift and 37s...wow it looked nice!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 PM
the tires are toyo 38x14.5x16 muds. Yeah the body lift is to clear the tires. Definitely go with a 6" suspension lift.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:27 PM
6" Fabtech, 35" Mud Grapplers, 20" Wheels...

I dont have the Step bars on anymore...

Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Skrewd -
I love it!

I just saw an F150 here locally with a 6" lift and it looks great. I think I'd want mine a little higher.

I saw a pic of an 8" lift with 37s, but it somehow didn't look right (like there wasn't enough gap between tire and fender).

Does anything think it wouldn't look proportional if I went with a 6"+3" body but only with 37's instead of 38's like "cashel" above?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
i think 37's and a body lift would still look good. check out f150 rider's gallery, he has 35's with a 6" susp. lift and 3" body lift, just to give you an idea. but i still like just a 6" susp. lift with 35's, usually looks cleaner because the frame and trailer hitch won't hang down like it would w/ a body lift.

Skewd's truck is probably the best example of a screw with 6" of lift and 35s

Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
yeah that's the only thing I don't like about body lifts, the fact it only lifts the body. That's why I don't really care for body lifts on stock suspension trucks unless it's REALLY hidden, as some posters' here have done. On lifted trucks though, it's not too bad.

Plus I plan on putting some steps back on the truck to cover up that droop.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Do you know of any quality suspension lifts for an '03 Fx4 that is bigger than 6". I did a quick search and seem to only come up with 6" lifts (the search continues)

Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 PM
theres only 2 that are bigger than 6" and those are Whiplash and Fullthrottle.

both are poorly manufactured IMO and stress the IFS way past its limits.

ill post a pic of my truck...here it is

Im nowhere near satisfied but it gets me though what i put it though!

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 07-27-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
yeah that's the only thing I don't like about body lifts, the fact it only lifts the body. That's why I don't really care for body lifts on stock suspension trucks unless it's REALLY hidden, as some posters' here have done. On lifted trucks though, it's not too bad.

Plus I plan on putting some steps back on the truck to cover up that droop.
yeah, thats true. steps, gap guards, chevy tow hooks, and a little fab work can hide the body lift easily.

btw cashel...are you finished yet? we want pictures dang it!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by cotedog03
yeah, thats true. steps, gap guards, chevy tow hooks, and a little fab work can hide the body lift easily.

btw cashel...are you finished yet? we want pictures dang it!
haha few hours man, putting bumpers on now and then it'll be done. I've had other **** on my plate that I had to take care of first, but it's about done. You'll get your pics tonight

Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks. Again I'm new to the technical details behind body lifts so naturally have a few questions...

- You mentioned putting steps back on to cover droop. What droop are you referring too? I currently have chrome sidesteps on my truck

- Chevy tow hook? My Screw has a tow package

- I think I read somewhere that some body lift kits come with brackets to raise the bumpers. Does it still look that bad when the hitch is below that attached to the frame?

- How useless does the bumper become when using the brackets to lift it? Heck I only use it to step into the bed. I would assume it can still handle a couple hundred pounds right (then again I'm only 165).

Thanks!

Hey Cashel I can't wait to see pics. Would you mind taking some for me of the rear (bumper vs hitch) as well as the sides (gaps due to the body lift). I'm basically wanting to see what most refer to as the negatives (in looks) with a body lift.

Thanks again all! I appreciate the help

Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
the 'droop' is what you see after lifting the body off the frame. The body is higher, but the frame hasn't moved at all. A lot of people get side steps to cover that up.

Chevy tow hooks - when you lift the body, the tow hooks are going to remain in the same location. GM has tow hooks that mount a little higher that make it look stock after lifting the body.

The hitch actually doesn't look that bad. It looks better than I expected actually. I'm about to post a thread with some pictures of my truck so stay tuned.

The bumper can be used for everything it's been used for before, you just can't tow with it (though I never would have used it to tow anything anyway, seems too dangerous)

Give me a few min to resize and upload these pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In need of help lifting my '03 Screw Fx4