Leveling Struts or Spacers?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leveling Struts or Spacers?

Looking to level the Front! I've heard a few things about the Bilstein Struts that can add 2" of lift... are these a good route to take for leveling?

Spacers seem to be easy to come by.... I've found lots to choose from!

I'm looking for a quality leveling kit... so spending the extra on the struts doesn't bother me... just wondering if they are worth it compared to spacers.

Anyone have any opinions on preferance?? Would be greatly appreciated!

this is for an 06 S.Crew 4x4

Cheers

Nem

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, I went with the Bilstein's, and don't regret doing so. The main reason was because my '04 had over 100,000 miles on it with stock shocks. So I was in need of shocks too. So I basically killed two birds with one stone.
Some people will swear one is better than the other, but the fact is both raise your front end putting different angles on your front end suspension.
As far as the ride with the Bilsteins....it is great! It is a little stiffer than stock, but them small bumps and big potholes in the road are no match.

My prefrence.....go with the Bilstein's!!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had both. I prefer the bilsteins.

IMO the question to ask is if you offroad. If you offroad then I would get the Bilsteins. If your gonna stay on-road, then save your money and get the spacers.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks Jim and UofKboy,

I do intend/plan on taking this truck offroad! At some point I'll have a trailer and use the F150 as a tow rig for my BII wheeler I'm building! So I'd like the Truck to be a tad more offroad ready than stock.

Appreciate your time in leaving feedback!

Cheers

Nem

Last edited by Nemisus; 07-23-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I just had the Bilstein 2'' installed and the AS removed. Bilstein is the way to go. I have 28k miles and the stock shocks are complete garbage. The Bilstein has a great ride and better handling.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
05supercrew, did you happen to measure your truck with the AS vs. the Bilstein?

I am just wondering if the Bilstein's are actually 2" of lift or do they end up being closer to 2.5" (as with the AS).

Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by JMBdevotee

I am just wondering if the Bilstein's are actually 2" of lift or do they end up being closer to 2.5" (as with the AS).
I have the measurements in my garage but after the wheel alignment it was the same height. The back sat a little higher do to the stock shocks being completely shot. Definitly a good investment. The ride is more solid and handles better. I havent gone off road yet.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by JMBdevotee

There is a member on here, cant remember who?, that has had both the AS 2in. and the Bilstein's. From what he stated, the Bilsteins were just a hair shorter in height compared to the AS kit. From what I hear the 2 inch AS is closer to 2.5 inch. But, he said that it was not noticable. After mine was installed it measured a hair over 2 inches. The back end is almost a half inch higher than the front, which keeps me from buying a AAL or a block.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

My truck measures exactly 2" higher in the back. I would prefer to keep a little rake so I think I will get the Bilsteins and run them on the 1" setting...

(Or just get 1.5" AS... )

Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Lots of good info! Thanks.

You guys have helped make my decision! Now for finding the best price for all 4 bilsteins.... I plan on replacing the rears with some matching shocks! Anyone got any ideas on where to go?

Cheers

Nem

Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Nemisus
Lots of good info! Thanks.

You guys have helped make my decision! Now for finding the best price for all 4 bilsteins.... I plan on replacing the rears with some matching shocks! Anyone got any ideas on where to go?

Cheers

Nem
Probably the most popular place is Top Gunz Custom. I lucked up, and found a new set on E-bay from a private seller for $320.00 I've seen people pay between $360.00 to $400.00 for them. Its worth your time to search for the cheapest you can find. Theres always a good deal out there if you take the time to look. Good luck to ya!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by UofKboy
Probably the most popular place is Top Gunz Custom. I lucked up, and found a new set on E-bay from a private seller for $320.00 I've seen people pay between $360.00 to $400.00 for them. Its worth your time to search for the cheapest you can find. Theres always a good deal out there if you take the time to look. Good luck to ya!
Yup I got mine for $389 delivered. Well worth it.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Cool! Prolly gonna order mine in a few days! Looking forward to seeing it sit level. Now to decided on the wheels... I really like the Stock FX4 wheels... anyone know where I can get a set for a good price? Saw some one Ebay for 200 plus frieght (95$) Is that what I should expect to pay??

Thank alot

Cheers

Nem

Old 07-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Bilsteins lower than spacer...

I replaced my 2" autospring spacer with Bilsteins at the max setting of 2" and before/after measurements were a difference of about 1/4" lower after the swap. I was surprised but not too worried about it as the ride is far superior than the stock shocks (about 27k on them). You're making the right choice IMHO.
Good luck and post pics!
StoveTop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leveling Struts or Spacers?