1" rear spacers ?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1" rear spacers ?

Okay, so thankfully I didn't get a 2 1/2" inch front leveling kit.

Instead, I got the Bilstein 5100's with the 2" lift (and I absolutely love the way my truck feels / handles now).

But here's my dilemma; I put all four stock tires + wheels in the bed, under my bedcover (for lack of a better storage place at the moment) and then I started thinking > Well, those probably weigh about 250 lbs, huh ? Well, that should closely aproximate 100 to 150 lbs of fishing tackle (when you include 1 or 2 deep cycle batteries) in the bed, and a light trailer, with a 100 lb tongue weight on the hitch.
So, I go out and measure from my wheel wells to the ground, and find that my rear end is sitting 3/4" lower :-(
I can live with completely flat.... or slightly higher in the rear, but I don't want any bulldogging at all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, even if you skip all of the above, what is involved in those 1" rear lift kits ? Spacers and what else ? Do they include new U-bolts ? What should I expect to pay for that kit ? How much work to install ?

Thanks,
Fish

PS, The reason I want the truck to sit at the right height "with" the trailer attached, is that the trailer will end up being attached to the truck 98% of its life.... plus, most times when I'm actually driving it, the bed will be full of fishing tackle....

Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Suspended
Ford already has a block in the back, 2" block I believe, so the easiest solution would be to replace that with a 3" block and get longer U bolts.
You can find the blocks & bolts seperate or buy them as a kit from most online offroad shops. I would get themn as a kit so you know everything is the right size.

Add a leaf is another option but requires alot of work to get the spring pack apart and back together. I also have found that add-a-leafs can damage your leaf packs over the years and makes the ride considerably rougher than factory.

Installing the larger block, if you go that route, is pretty easy. With 2 people and a 6 pack you can expect an hour or so if your reasonably mechanically inclined or maybe 2 hours if your not.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Hey Scott....

Thank you. Actually, I'm totally mechanically "declined", which is why it's a great thing that I have good buddies who are mechanical geniouses ;-)

So what do you guess... $100 for the kit ?

Thanks again,
Fish

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Thank you. Actually, I'm totally mechanically "declined", which is why it's a great thing that I have good buddies who are mechanical geniouses ;-)

So what do you guess... $100 for the kit ?

Thanks again,
Fish
Ehh, a rear block with U bolts should cost maybe $60 max. Im sure you could find them for a bill, but a quick search online turned up plenty of places selling them for 50-75. I did one on a Nissan Frontier by myself in about an hour. To make the job easy have 4 jack stands and 2 floor jacks. Make sure the jackstands can raise up pretty high also

Old 07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3" block would be much safer than having two blocks per side in the rear.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Thank you Darren....

Sounds totally logical to me. I'll look into replacing the 2" with 3".... rather than stacking a 1" and a 2"....

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey fish.

Dont you have a 2wd? If you do, then you do not have any blocks in the back. I belive only 4x4 trucks came with them. I know auto springs has a 1.5inch rear block for about $116.00 and another company has a 1 inch for $99.00 I think. This would be your best bet unless you go with a aal.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey Blacknight....

Yes, mine's a 2wd. I'm almost sure the 1" will be enough. I didn't think I had seen any spacers in mine, but wasn't about to argue with anyone :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Understandable Fish. Im about to install a 1.5 inch block on my truck. I got it from a fellow member here. I'll post pics when i have it completed. Nice truck by the way. Love the new wheels!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks man :-)

Peace,
Fish

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1" rear spacers ?