Weird sound

Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird sound

Hey guys, need help diagnoising an odd sound I've been hearing from my truck lately.

Whenever I shift from park to drive, or vice versa, I hear what seems to be a fairly loud pinging noise coming from under the truck. Its one ping right after the truck shifts from those positions.

I really don't think its anything with the transmission internally. It's shifting fine, no other odd noises or anything.

Which makes me narrow it down to somewhere on the drive line once it engages, but other then that I have no idea what it could be.

BTW: Truck is an 05' STX

Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Bleh... just noticed I put this in suspension.. I'll make another in transmissions... someone please delete this thread.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Check your U-Joints on the rear drive shaft. I had the same noise and replacing the U-Joints fixed the noise.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
albiemanmike is right check the u joints on the rear driveshaft more than likely this is where the sound is coming from, I had the same noise under mine and couldnt pin down where the sound was coming from so I went ahead and replaced the stock u joints with some heavy duty greasable ones from napa and that fixed the problem, when I took the old u joints out I found one u joint that did not have any pins in it at all and this was what was causing the noise, good luck on getting yours fixed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird sound