Clunking noise under my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clunking noise under my truck

So recently i have been hearing a clunking noise coming from underneath my truck. I have a fabtech suspension lift and already tightend everything. I have no idea were it is coming from. i took off my sway bar thinking it was that but the noise is still there. Any ideas on what i could be? it only sounds like that when im turning corners and even backing out of the drive way.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:42 PM
these "noise" questions are difficult to answer when not in person... have you torqued everything down to spec, and not merely "tightened up?" was the noise there BEFORE you lifted the truck or AFTER?

are you sure its not a loose exhaust hanger or rattling cat converter? i would particularly suspect this if you have any form of an aftermarket exhaust... perhaps the heat shielding is coming in contact w/ something.

i'm just not too familiar w/ the 04-08 F-150, as I have an 03. Perhaps someone else will have better suggestions.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM
the noise wasnt there before i lifted my truck and wasnt there right after i lifted it either it just started about a couple of weeks ago. I have torqued everything. I dont have any aftermarket exhaust. its more of a popping on slow left turns and the sound comes from the passenger side. thank you minimonster17 any more suggestions will help.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same thing but it was only bc my cv joints were going bad so that might be the problem get those looked at by ford. but not sure if the warranty is voided bc mine is still good bc my lift was done by them so yah

Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM
i would still inspect the exhaust system thoroughly: hangers, clamps, loose bolts, etc. a stock exhaust is not immune to any type of failure either. was the stock suspension in immaculate shape before you lifted the truck? if indeed it is a cv shaft, it may not be covered under a warranty, if you still have one, b/c the lift could certainly put a strain on it and cause it to prematurely fail.

in spite of these problems, do not be discouraged. this is the less pretty side of modifying these trucks, diagnosing unintentionally caused issues. i read of your issue w/ 4wheelonline, and can imagine how upsetting this whole issue was surrounding your lift. just don't give up, and someone on here will point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise under my truck