Question About 4x4 Wheel Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About 4x4 Wheel Hubs

I'm in the middle of installing a FabTech 6" on my 99F150 5.4 and I have discovered a bad Wheel Hub on the passenger side.My truck has 194,000kms on it,and since I have it apart and have to order the hubs,would it be wise to replace both at this time,or would the "good" old one still be fine for many more miles?I think I know the answer to this, but I value your opinions,and I'm always wrong on these kinds of things anyways.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it was me I would change both. I hate being in the middle of no where wondering what " that " noise is and wishing I would have just replaced the part while it was in my nice warm garage. You can't put a price on peace of mind. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah,thats the way I feel too.I hope I can find them in stock, close to me, for a reasonable price.Anyone know any Canadian dealer prices,or aftermarket replacements,such as Moog,etc.They should be around $250 a side,right?Do they come with the studs installed already?Or do I have to swap the old ones?(probably)

Old 06-23-2008, 08:05 PM
At least thats how I felt until I found out what it would cost me.Ford dealers price was $370,at a parts store not local either,$443 for some name I didn't recognize,or one which was $250,but sounded like he was trying to get me to buy the expensive one.So I went with the stock Ford part,but only one.When the other one goes bad I'll be very skilled at taking it out,so it shouldn't be too bad.As long as it isn't December.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check this place out. www.carpartswholesale.com

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Update:Just a short 8 months later and the brand new Ford part is shot.Bought a cheapo PartsMaster replacement,installed it, only to find out it was as sloppy as the one I just took out.I'm off to the stealership tommorrow for a wheel alignment and a new bearing.
Im sure doing my part to keep the automotive parts industry alive this week, how about you?

And February is even colder than December,laying in the snow on my driveway.-25celcius is not a good time for fixing things.

Last edited by sledman62; 02-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Update:So I'm back from the stealership, and get this, the hub they ordered to replace the bad one is also no good.Has anyone here ever used Partsmaster?What are the odds that two wheel hubs in a row,are no good?So, they are going to order a Ford wheel hub, which will be another week, and more money, before they can get the part and schedule my service and subsequent wheel alignment,which the truck also desperately needs.The 200km drive one way to the stealer is killing my tires. I'm sure that by spring they will also need replacing.Good excuse to get some km2's....

Quick Reply: Question About 4x4 Wheel Hubs