CV Joints Bad??

Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CV Joints Bad??

there is a clunking sound coming from the drivers side wheel when I hit a bump in the road or when I`m driving down a gravel road and the wheel is constantly going up and down I can hear it alot then, I jacked the front end up the other day to see where it was coming from and it is coming from the lower CV joint close to the tire, there is just a little bit of play in the joint but it must be enough to make that clunking noise I keep hearing. The truck has 170,000 miles on it so I`m guessing its just from wear and tear.

Do they make a good aftermarket axle assembly for my year model truck?

Where is a good place to buy them from?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Anybody?????????????????

Here is a pic of where the clunking sound is coming from, hope this helps?

I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible!!! I dont think this is a normal sound???

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats definitely sounds like a CV problem. I hvent heard of an AfterMarket parts for this. There might be but i have no clue where to even start looking. Its definitely something that should get fixed. Im suspecting that if you try in use 4wd you will grenade the whole unit! So stay away from doing that. Its a really really big mess if you snap a cv shaft.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Im not sure if this will make sence but:

If the lower CV joint grenades then the boot will tear and the axle shaft will spin like wild and damage ALOT of stuff. Ripping Break Lines out, can get messy.

This should only happen if the truck is in 4wd. The assembly spins in 2wd but not with any power. When in 4wd the unit is powered and the stress is amplified greatly.

My point being stay away from 4wd.

hope that makes sence.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
THANKS man
I will not use 4wd any till I get it fixed. I`m thinking when I start this project I will redo both front axles, I`ve tore all this down before and it doesnt take that awfully long to do,I called Napa and he said a Remanufactured Axle assembly would be $68.39 and a new one would be $125.69, What do yall think is the best way to go, New? or Reman? If new ones will last longer I would be willing to pay the extra for a new one but if a reman will work just as good that would be fine too. I know that with the lift and bigger tires they arent going to last as long as a stock f150.

Last edited by f150 rider; 06-13-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Alright guys, me and a buddy got to looking a little closer this evening at where the sound was coming from, he just happend to put his hand on the brake caliper and it moved a little, come to find out the bolts that hold it on had worked themselves loose and that is where the noise was coming from which would explain why it only did it when the wheel went up or down from a bump but would not make a sound when turning, I have been driving on a gravel road alot lately and I didnt notice it doing that until now so that was the culprit and man am I glad it was not the CV joints, I was really dreading having to tear the front end down to replace those, I want to say THANKS for your advice 4.2trimble, I aprecciate your help because eventually I`ll have to replace the front axles as both boots on the front axle are broken so all that dust and grime can get in there.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Ok man im glad you found the problem! But when you get the CV shafts id ask if they have any Chromoly, i know you can get them for other offroad vehicles! They will be WAY stronger and well worth the money.

If not then get new ones. And if you plan on wheeling that thing really hard id buy a reman and put it in the tool box just in case.

I know it wouldnt be ideal to have to change an axle on the trails but id rather change an axle than leave my truck out there!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks man I will look into getting a reman as a spare that is a good idea!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CV Joints Bad??