A couple body lift questions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple body lift questions....

Okay, so I will have a 2wd, with only a 1 1/2" to 2" front end lift for leveling (Bilstein adjustable 5100's) and yet I know the tires I've chosen are going to be a "borderline" fit ...305/65-18"s.

"IF" they happen to hit, or rub just a bit, how easy, and how cheap, is a small body lift ? Also, how adjustable ? ....or should I say, can I do a body lift which is adjustable, from say 1/2" to 2", so that I could raise the whole body up, "just enough" to fix any tire clearence problems ?

A buddy of mine was talking about a body lift he had done on his little Toyota SR5 4wd (with a V8) and he said it was really cheap, and easy... like $80.... but that he was going to a straight suspension lift now...

Anyone ?

Thanks,
Fish

Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM
a body lift will run you $350 to $500 for parts. the install is time consuming but not hard. there is no adjustability in the kit, you either buy a 2" or 3" body lift.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:34 PM
what year model do you have man? it shouldn't cost any where near $500 though...

Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
A body lift will be less than $200, you could probably pick one up for about $170. Factor in another $60-$70 for gap guards (which I highly recommend).

As far as the install goes, it's not that bad but it is time consuming. Get a buddy to help you and don't make any weekend plans, cause you're looking at about 10-15 hours of labor.

If you want to see what you are in for, check out my gallery, I have pics of the install process with captions and descriptions.

More than likely you will fix your rubbing issues with a body lift.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Suspended
With the way you were talking about tuners, a body lift is not what you want to do.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Some dooooood is selling this one online

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m120271835760&

Shipped for under $400 - If I remember right your is a 2wd Fish? Anywhoo, I'm sure they make a 2" as well. And I agree with lucky, you buy whatever size and that's what you run with. There is no adjusting

Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
yeah but the dooooood at that company i heard was an ******* though and hated f150's

Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
yeah but the dooooood at that company i heard was an ******* though and hated f150's

No kidding - that and his crap doesn't ship in a few days and I heard he isn't the cheapest on the net

Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by wrobo23
Some dooooood is selling this one online

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m120271835760&

Shipped for under $400 - If I remember right your is a 2wd Fish? Anywhoo, I'm sure they make a 2" as well. And I agree with lucky, you buy whatever size and that's what you run with. There is no adjusting

Wow. Maybe I mis-spoke. Why the hell are Body Lifts so expensive for the 06-08 2wd? The 97-03s are under $200 all day long? They can't be that much different.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Okay guys....

So maybe a $200 or $250, and a PITA to install ? ....of course I wouldn't be the one to install it, but my mechanic buddy can do anything mechanical... or electrical for that matter.

Of course I'm not even opposed to doing a little clipping / grinding of the wheelwell, if it's not visible, and keeps my tires from hitting....

Hmmm, sounds a little more expensive, and lot more time consuming than I hoped it would be....

Thanks though,
Fish

PS, Thumper, I don't follow you ? I basically don't want a tuner because I don't want to have to (possibly have to) lie about it to the dealer, or the state of CA. Why would I have to lie about a 2" body lift ? Not breaking any warranty, or public roadway regs with a 2" lift are you ?

Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Did you check the link I posted Probably not. Anyways, if you pay a shop to do it I'm sure you'll be looking at $500 + just for labor. I've heard as much as double that. You'll want to do it yourself if you want to save $. With all the posting you do, I can tell you don't know what in teh hell you wanna do with your truck. At one time I hear rims and tires, then you say that a body lift is too expensive

It'll be time consuming but I'm sure that with some help you can do it. It should be a lot easier on the nbs.

I'm not sure but Thump was pry getting at the notion that a lift may void your warranty. Then again, what doesn't nowadays. Just check with your dealer first.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Suspended
Now don't take offense to this but you seem like the kind of guy that is pretty **** and wants to do things right, the first time. So am I. Body lifts are great for some people who on a budget but they aren't really the right way to do it IMO. I'm not trying to **** you guys off who have body lifts but most of you will agree that if you could afford it, you'd rather have a suspension lift.

Any modification can void you warranty if it's found to be the cause of the problem. A body lift changes a lot of things. I've even heard of insurance companies telling the owner to **** off when they flipped. I'm not sure but I also believe some places do not allow body lifts by law.

Yes the 04+ NBS F150 has a different body lift, it's much more expensive. It's also much harder to install. I've heard from $800-1200 for parts and labor. When you get into that price range you could have a 6" lift plus installation cost.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Body lifts are great for some people who on a budget but they aren't really the right way to do it IMO. I'm not trying to **** you guys off who have body lifts but most of you will agree that if you could afford it, you'd rather have a suspension lift.
Why would a body lift NOT be the "right way" to do a lift

(and no offence taken - that was one of the main reasons I did one )

And I personally would run a suspension lift vs. body only if I wanted more than 3" (which I don't) and use my truck more offroad than not (which, sadly, I really don't).

Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
personally i prefer a suspension lift with a body lift.

anyways, if you have a pre 04 truck, yes the body lift will be cheap. $150ish maybe. if you have an 04 and up, its really expensive. i paid $350 shipped for mine (havent installed it yet) but i have an 07

and in regards to those that feel a body lift is not the right way to do it......depends on what "it" is. some people want a lift for nothing but looks so a body lift is perfect. some want much larger tires then a suspension lift alone can handle so a body lift is needed. in some cases a body lift is not needed is not the best way to obtain lift (when more suspension travel is needed). its all a matter of opinion and you know what they say about opinions and a$$holes

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 06-11-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by wrobo23
Why would a body lift NOT be the "right way" to do a lift
All you're doing is lifting the body off of the frame. It creates more stress points. It also does not include new shocks so with the addition of bigger tires, it's not going to ride that great. I could go on and on. I just don't feel it's the right way. Just like crash said, opinions are like *******s.

Quick Reply: A couple body lift questions....