Its time

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its time

ok guys i think im ready to order all my stuff lol. Im probobally gonna order after next weeks pay check but i wanna run everything buy u guys cus ur opinions r awesome. Ok you all probobally know but im doing a 6" fabtech 3" performace 4.88's 16x10's and i havent settled on my tires yet but they will b a 38x15.50x16. idk i also considered just a 6 inch but idk i love the 6"+3", u think ill regret it if i dont go with that? so ya just a last few questions.

a) Is 4.88's the best for 38's, i mean like will it bring it the closest to stock tire/gear ratio, is there any other gears that will get me better mps's? cus what ive herd is that i ill get about 11 right?

b) ok ive been reading alot of forums and guys who have 6"+3" havent had many problem but idk alota people have been crabbing about alot things going rong with like CV joints and what not so idk juts wanna clear up my worries.

c) i dont think there is but anything hiddin that i will need other than what i listed, but just checking will i need anything like brake lines and what not?

d) how much back spaceing will i need on my rims?

idk just anything u guys can think of i just want everything to be perfect so idk any opinions or idk anything at all is greatly appreciated, thx

( Wandell, 4.2Trimble, Salescall looking for a lil help here guys, lol thx.)

Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are gonna go with 37's or bigger, get the 4.88 gears. As for a wheel, go with a 10 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 AM
personally id go with 5.13 for the gears just to get a little extra bottom end. those 38's are heavy so your going to need all the bottom end grunt you can get. theyll take some of the strain off the motor and if you dont have a heavy foot all the time, they will get you better milage (by just a little) then the 4.88's i have 4.88's with 35" tire and wish i went with 5.13's because im going to 37's soon and i like the torque.

and yes, you will regret just going with the 6", youll wait more lift eventually

Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 AM
1. 4.88's is your biggest option on the F150 thats the biggest they make for front and rear.

2. Any type of lift will wear your suspension down alittle quicker, especially in conjunction with big tires. However dont worry too much with a good quality kit like fabtech the wear will hardly be noticeable unless you keep an accurate count

3. You might run into some snags on the body lift, frozen bed bolts and such best bet is to spray them with PB BLASTER a week or two before you start install. You will also need torx bits i cant remember the exact ones someone will chime in on that, but make sure you get 2. Also a torch or a grinder will help out ALOT if you have a frozen bolt! If you have a Brush gaurd then you will have to mount it differently, im gonna cut the brackets and weld them back where i want them! One more thing that people never mention (or maybe its only happened to me) But inspect ALL the center holes in the body lift blocks mine had some plastic left from the manufacturer, there wasnt very much just enough to keep the bolt from sliding through. you will also have to drill a few holes the rear bumper holes need to be pretty big so make sure you have a nice big bit!

4. wheels with 4.5 BS

5. FINAL STEP... TAKE PICTURES WHEN YOU ARE DONE AND POST THEM HERE.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
running such a large tire will not be possible on just a 6'' suspension lift. you will need the 3'' body. as already mentioned, there is not a gear lower than 4.88 for the F-150. even so, using the 4.88, you will still be a step lower than stock (realized) 32''/38''x4.88~4.10. you should do fine w/ those.

i have a buddy w/ 38'' MT's on an 03, with the 6''fab +3''body. he beats the **** out of it offroad, and it has held up so far. he didn't regear, so he obviously fuked the transmission. other than that, the setup has held up great for him, and you sound like you're going to set everything thing up right the first time. good luck!

torx bits: t-47 for the bed bolts, t-50 for the back seat (Scab yes, Screw unsure) t-55 for the front seat bolts. (Reg cab, Scab, and Screw)
21mm crescent wrench to tighten rear bumper after it is moved up.

trimble, where's your pics? at the very least, you owe us all pics, especially me! j/k!

Last edited by minimonster17; 06-06-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Get a pick of the mounted tire sitting next to you truck stock. I love those pics. They make the new tires look sick.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Suspended
just to point this out. he said he was doing a 3" performance accessories body lift so he should clear 38's. truck will look great. are you doing the install yourself?

Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
running such a large tire will not be possible on just a 6'' suspension lift. you will need the 3'' body. as already mentioned, there is not a gear lower than 4.88 for the F-150. even so, using the 4.88, you will still be a step lower than stock (realized) 32''/38''x4.88~4.10. you should do fine w/ those.

i have a buddy w/ 38'' MT's on an 03, with the 6''fab +3''body. he beats the **** out of it offroad, and it has held up so far. he didn't regear, so he obviously fuked the transmission. other than that, the setup has held up great for him, and you sound like you're going to set everything thing up right the first time. good luck!

torx bits: t-47 for the bed bolts, t-50 for the back seat (Scab yes, Screw unsure) t-55 for the front seat bolts. (Reg cab, Scab, and Screw)
21mm crescent
wrench to tighten rear bumper after it is moved up.

trimble, where's your pics? at the very least, you owe us all pics, especially me! j/k!
Theres the ones i forgot...

And Jon ill have the pics up monday hopefully. I got surprise written all over them!!!!!! SUSPENCE

Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Ok, finally. Did you ever manage to get your crush blocks in, the bumper raised up, the transmission shifter cable done, etc? check your private messages as well, Cecil.

OP: I forgot, but you'll also need an allen wrench for the steering shaft extension. Can't remember the size offhand, but i think it is U.S. standard.

Last edited by minimonster17; 06-07-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 AM
hey thaks alot guys, yes i will deffinatly post pictures. ya im doing it with me and a couple of my buddies ( who are only doing it if i pay them in beer....). havent decided if were up to the task of doing the gears ourself or if i should just cough up the extra $ and get it installed at a shop. idk yet gotta talk to some local shops to see what theyll charge but ya lifts ere doing r selfs. hey one question i no salescall did but does anybody know how long it took to install the new gears?

Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 AM
.... oops

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 06-07-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:19 AM
oops....

Old 06-09-2008, 12:56 AM
time to install is not what you should be worrying about. what you should be concerned w/ is whether or not the gears are set up correctly to avoid noise, irregular/improper wear, etc.

Quick Reply: Its time