This is why I went with Bilstein HD's

Old 06-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I went with Bilstein HD's

I have an 07 FX4 with 2 inch front end leveling kit and took out the 1and5/8 rear block and replaced it with a 3 inch block to be level. Any way I'm keeping the blocks and getting the HD's because Bilstein gave me the specs on the HD's and 5100's. Extented the front 5100's is 21.7 inches long the HD front extended is 21.3 inches long. The rear on the 5100's extended is 27.04 inches long and on the rear of the HD extended it is 27.125 inches long. If I keep the blocks I would just have the 5100's set at zero lift so why would I need the 5100's I don't. Also the blocks put the exact same angle on the cv's whether I do it either way. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 PM

What are yout trying to ask bud ??? Reading that made my head hurt.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech

What are yout trying to ask bud ??? Reading that made my head hurt.
I'm asking because the 5100's are supposed to be for lifted trucks. Are a leveling kit in front and rear block in back not considered lifted? Another reason is when you put your truck info. on Bilstein's web-site the HD's don't come up just the 5100's. I was going to get the 5100's at first but they are 2 months back ordered so I stared asking questions. I posted this to see if I could help anyone else out there that might be in the same situation and just wanted to keep there front and rear blocks. I apoligize for making your head hurt>

Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
aw, I think i gotcha!

Well, i'm sure either shock would work fine, the 5100 are usually used as a leveling kit, to raise the front an extra 2 inches, you already have a leveling kit, so I don't see a need for them, and if they are on back order, I wouldn't worry about em.

I don't beleive the HD units are adjustable (but could be wrong) and i'm sure they are valved a little differently.

I would try giving a call to bilstein, see what they say, then maybe call up a company like TireRack and see what they say, and go from there.

oh, and don't worry about my head, nothing a cold one can't fix ! Now I just gotta finish the day and get to that cold one...

Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
aw, I think i gotcha!

Well, i'm sure either shock would work fine, the 5100 are usually used as a leveling kit, to raise the front an extra 2 inches, you already have a leveling kit, so I don't see a need for them, and if they are on back order, I wouldn't worry about em.

I don't beleive the HD units are adjustable (but could be wrong) and i'm sure they are valved a little differently.

I would try giving a call to bilstein, see what they say, then maybe call up a company like TireRack and see what they say, and go from there.

oh, and don't worry about my head, nothing a cold one can't fix ! Now I just gotta finish the day and get to that cold one...
I have already checked and they will work. They are beening installed right now also with Wagner Thermoquiets front end disk brakes. A cold one sure would be good right now its 94 degrees where I am with about 80% humidity.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by pignjig
I have already checked and they will work. They are beening installed right now also with Wagner Thermoquiets front end disk brakes. A cold one sure would be good right now its 94 degrees where I am with about 80% humidity.

good god man !! I don't know how you guys can do it ! I have family over in FL, and man, I just about DIE when visiting in that heat, and rediculous humidity ! ON top of all that, yall gotta do work in that weather !

Well, have a good one bud, and let me know how those shocks work out.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm asking because the 5100's are supposed to be for lifted trucks. Are a leveling kit in front and rear block in back not considered lifted? Another reason is when you put your truck info. on Bilstein's web-site the HD's don't come up just the 5100's. I was going to get the 5100's at first but they are 2 months back ordered so I stared asking questions. I posted this to see if I could help anyone else out there that might be in the same situation and just wanted to keep there front and rear blocks. I apoligize for making your head hurt>
As far as Bilstein is concerned, with a leveling kit, your front is not lifted.

Bilstein also makes many differnet sizes for just about every application for the rear. From mild to wild.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:44 PM
good god man !! I don't know how you guys can do it ! I have family over in FL, and man, I just about DIE when visiting in that heat, and rediculous humidity ! ON top of all that, yall gotta do work in that weather !
Forecast here calls for 14 days of 90+ degree weather, with humidity at 60%+ starting Wednesday. Yay

I had a guy from Seattle come do some work with us and he thought that 75-80 degrees and about 50% humidity was brutal! I told him he should come back in July or August!

- NCSU

Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I have an 07 FX4 with 2 inch front end leveling kit and took out the 1and5/8 rear block and replaced it with a 3 inch block to be level. Any way I'm keeping the blocks and getting the HD's because Bilstein gave me the specs on the HD's and 5100's. Extented the front 5100's is 21.7 inches long the HD front extended is 21.3 inches long. The rear on the 5100's extended is 27.04 inches long and on the rear of the HD extended it is 27.125 inches long. If I keep the blocks I would just have the 5100's set at zero lift so why would I need the 5100's I don't. Also the blocks put the exact same angle on the cv's whether I do it either way. Any thoughts on this?

Like the stance of your truck..
what level kit did you go with? and Block?
Do you like the block set up or do you wish you would of went with the add a leaf instead.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
Like the stance of your truck..
what level kit did you go with? and Block?
Do you like the block set up or do you wish you would of went with the add a leaf instead.
2 inch in front 3 inch in back. Had to take out the 1 and 5/8 stock block in rear and add the 3 inch to level the truck. I think the blocks are more durable than the add a leafs. The Bilstein HD's fit perfect although the guy who did it almost broke his spring compressor because of the added pressure on the front because of the spacer. The Bilstein's HD's are a very solid and well built shock. I got my blocks from A.A.S out of Idaho.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
2 inch in front 3 inch in back. Had to take out the 1 and 5/8 stock block in rear and add the 3 inch to level the truck. I think the blocks are more durable than the add a leafs. The Bilstein HD's fit perfect although the guy who did it almost broke his spring compressor because of the added pressure on the front because of the spacer. The Bilstein's HD's are a very solid and well built shock. I got my blocks from A.A.S out of Idaho.
Thought the stock block was 1-1/2?
Level and Blocks from Auto Spring Corp? - Dont know what A.A.S is.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey pignjig...what's the shaft diameter on your shocks??

Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Suspended
Weather sucks here, too. It's 81 degrees right now with 76% humidity.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Hey pignjig...what's the shaft diameter on your shocks??
46 mm or 46 divided by 25.4 = 1.81 inches on both shocks.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
Thought the stock block was 1-1/2?
Level and Blocks from Auto Spring Corp? - Dont know what A.A.S is.
My bad that who it was they are based in Idaho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is why I went with Bilstein HD's