Steering column loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering column loose

I have a 2001 F150 XLT 4.6
After some investigating I found the steering column loose and there is a fair amount of play if I grab it and move it as it goes thru the firewall. I can feel it thru the steering wheel and first suspected the ujoints in the shaft. But the joints are fine. Question is, what is on the firewall that the shaft goes thru. It is all covered with a boot. I have seen no other postings about whatever is in there , find no parts listed at NAPA, Autozone etc. What am I looking for and anyone else replaced whatever is in there. I assume I'll have to remove the shaft.

Last edited by beepilot; 06-02-2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: forgot the vehicle
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I had the same thing happen to mine the other day, but I took it to the garage. I don't have time to fix stuff like that because of my job, being on call all the time. They didn't tell me much, just that they took it out, greased it, and put it back in. Seems to have fixed it, for now, and that if it starts doing it again to bring it back in for some new parts. Sorry I don't have more info.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Ok, thanks anyway Skybound. That was probably your post I saw elsewhere. I'll have to dig under that boot to see whats under there

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Right on, let me know what you find out, I'd be interested to know myself.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be something as simple as the steering shaft bolt coming loose in where it connects to the steering wheel. Check to make sure the bolt is torqued down before worrying as to what it may be.

Quick Reply: Steering column loose