Bumper Height

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Height

I'm curious as to what the bumper heights are with the Rize 8" setup with 37's. Measured from the ground to the bottom of the bumper. I have an 06 screw cab would like to go with 8" Rize but do not want to get hassled with state inspection. I went through that for a couple of years with my '79 Blazer, 7" total lift and 35's, was hard to get it inspected in VA. Gotta Love The Commonwealth!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
from the ground to the middle part of the back bumper it's 25.25". This measurement was with out an aal.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:02 AM
A rough eyeball with the tape measure in the dark put me around 25 at the bottom of the valance under the front bumper.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ground to bottom edge of Front Chrome bumper (not bottom of valance)-29"
Ground to bottom edge of Rear Chrome bumper-29"

That is with an add-a-leaf.

Looks like your vehicle code allows for 30-31 inches for bumper height. You should be close. If you are over a little, throw some weight in the bed and engine bay..haha.

From the VA Vehicle Code
No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

There is a spot in the code that says in the absence of bumpers, they measure to the bottom of the frame rails. Just take off your bumpers for the inspection.

Last edited by neuspeed5; 05-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Bumper Height