Leaf Spring Problem Need Answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf Spring Problem Need Answers

OK i have a buddy who has a 2001 F-150 FX4 and he had a problem with his leaf springs a couple years back while the truck was still under warranty. The clips that kind of hold the leaf spring together had managed to walk down the front and back end of the leaf springs.

So he took ti to Ford and they replaced them under warranty saying that was not normal and there was a issue. Well 3 K Mile slater the same things began to happen and he took it back in and had them look at it once again. This time they told him normal and no issues would arise from this.

No scroll forward to current day and guess what the clips have gone all the way off and one of his leaf springs is pushing out from in between the leaf pack. He took a look at it himself and discovered that the center pin is made of plastic and has sheared off allowing the spring top start coming apart.

So he take it back to the same dealership with his invoice from the last time when they told him no issue would arise out of theirs.

Well guess what they told him. Basically your out of warranty and it is going to be what ever it was they wanted to replace the springs with new ones.

Needless to say he told them to where they could put that and told them he would drive his truck until the rear end fell out and it killed someone then he would sue them.
Needless to say they could care less.

So my question is has any one heard of this happening with the rear leaf spring. I told him I had never heard of such a thing. So have any of you?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
The 97-03 has a banded clip so it's not too uncommon for it to work itself loose. Not really a big deal just go pick up some 2-1/2" quick clips from your local spring shop. As far as the center bolt you'll need a 7/16 x 4 which again you can pick up from your local spring shop. When you put the springs back together just leave the main leaf hanging so you don't have to take out the eye bolts. If you don't have a local spring shop pm me and I can send you out what you need.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Joe thanks for that info and the offer to help it is very much appreciated.

Like i said it is a buddies truck and I am just trying to find out if this has happen to anyone before. I heard elsehwere that there was a TSB on it and would like that number if someone has it.

He is trying to get Ford to pay for the repair. Again

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Problem Need Answers