body lifting 4wd lever?Weld and cut??!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lifting 4wd lever?Weld and cut??!?

I'm putting on my body lift right now and now I see about cutting and welding my 4wd lever? DO I really have to do this???

Old 05-25-2008, 03:26 PM
No i just put mine on thursday, and it will sit really low but its not nessicary! However when i tried to get the truck into 4wd low it wouldnt go in! My transferr case is a pain though! Id recomend doing this step!

The kit includes the metal to do it! If you cant weld or cut the just take the lever off take it to a machine shot and have them do it!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:29 PM
So I can come back later and do this step???? ALso, the grounding wire doesn't have 3" of play in it after the cab goes up, did you just drill another hole and attach it??? Thanks man, I really appreciate it, we were all shocked to see that mess!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Theres two ground wires that will get tight! One is on the frame and one is under the hood. The one on the frame they giver you a bracket for, however id recommend not putting it back in the stock loaction it looks terrible there, just drill a hole further up the frame and mount the ground there out of sight!

Now fo the one under the hood! Mine was TIGHT and i didnt want it to snap so i just loosened it up a little, the kit doesnt come with any bracket try for this but you could easily make one! If you redrill and mount the frame ground somewhere else then the bracket for that can be used up in the engine bay! I had a pain removing the fan shround and ended up cutting it to 100 pieces! New one is on order!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
So what about the transmission bolts and a shift cable bracket? It says to unbolt them but I got up under the truck and it doesn't look anything like in the picture? Any suggestions anybody?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I didnt do that step either.. I will soon but didnt feel like doing it at the time. You can leave it but it might snap (if it does its not that expensive) Ive been told that its a good hour process to do that one step!

Another thing that i didnt do was the Fuel Filler extender... mine was long enough and works fine!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
I didnt do that step either.. I will soon but didnt feel like doing it at the time. You can leave it but it might snap (if it does its not that expensive) Ive been told that its a good hour process to do that one step!

Another thing that i didnt do was the Fuel Filler extender... mine was long enough and works fine!
Ahhh man, that was my next question, my filler hose extended just fine so I was going to skip that step too. Did you put the crush blocks in? Did you weld or bolt them on?? My blocks don't have any holes in them so I would have to drill out holes and then drill another hole to mount them in, I don't have the resources to do the welding on them.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I didnt do mine! The old kits came with the hole pre-drilled in the crush blocks these dont. Im going to weld mine when i get a day off! It would be easier to just drill holes and bolt them in! I might do that now that i think about it. I also didnt put gap gaurds in im leaving the front open and i painted mt exhause manifolds and the side of the block white to match the truck!

Did you drop the radiator?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I didnt do mine! The old kits came with the hole pre-drilled in the crush blocks these dont. Im going to weld mine when i get a day off! It would be easier to just drill holes and bolt them in! I might do that now that i think about it. I also didnt put gap gaurds in im leaving the front open and i painted mt exhause manifolds and the side of the block white to match the truck!

Did you drop the radiator?

Yeah, sure did, wish I didn't but a buddy of mine was working on the front and he was following the directions and he had the damn thing out before I could blink. Yeah, these crush blocks don't have the holes, I guess I'll be doing that 2morrow too. Oh and guess what, the nuts that came with the kit don't even fit, I have to go 2 Lowes in the morning and get more nuts just so I can tighten all the bolts in the bed and cab!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
The bed bolts and cab bolts dont need nuts the nuts are on like a C-clip style so they are still on the frame! The only ones that need nuts are the Front most mounts the first two!

I had to cut my Fan shroud to 100 pieces to get it out.. I have a new one on order! And another thing the Rear Bumper will not mount until you drill a hole.

The Front bumper will sit 1" low unless you drill the holes out to make alittle more room to slide the bumper up!

And if you have a brush gaurd it wont mount back up mines welded right now!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
The bed bolts and cab bolts dont need nuts the nuts are on like a C-clip style so they are still on the frame! The only ones that need nuts are the Front most mounts the first two!

I had to cut my Fan shroud to 100 pieces to get it out.. I have a new one on order! And another thing the Rear Bumper will not mount until you drill a hole.

The Front bumper will sit 1" low unless you drill the holes out to make alittle more room to slide the bumper up!

And if you have a brush gaurd it wont mount back up mines welded right now!
Ok cool, just the front 2. My shroud came out alright, I guess I'll see how the front bumper looks with the gap first, more than likely I'll just drill the holes so it looks like it did before. I tightened up the bed bolts but I'll have to loosen them up so I can get those crush blocks in there, I stood in the back of the bed and felt it sag a little and I can't have that so I have to get those in there. We're goingto try and finish this thing up in the morning so hopefully every thing will go smooth, thanx for the help again man.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Yep no problem! Get some pictures up when you are al done!

Next Mod... Supercharger..... That will be fun!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Yep no problem! Get some pictures up when you are al done!

Next Mod... Supercharger..... That will be fun!
We have the same engine...where are you getting the supercharger from??? What kind of output are you expecting to get after it's on? I want more power in the worst way, considering an engine swap of some sort but don't know what to switch to? A buddy suggested a 351.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Theres no kits available for the 4.2.

I played with the idea of turboing it but dont really need the higend performance the turbo would give.

I also messed around with a company named Need 4 Speed they say they have a supercharger kit for the 97-03 F150 4.2... But no one is on the same page at that store or know anything they are talking about.

So my final plans are going to be this, supersixmotorsports.com offer an adapter plate that allows the use of an eaton m112. yes the lightning charger.

I wasnt going to build and engine but now i am. I bought a used 4.2 for 50 dollars. They said it had a knock. Ill be ordering heads, cam, and new internals. Its still a new process but it should make around 300 hp maybe more.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where in nc are you located outcast? I drilled holes in my crush blocks to mount them and i left the shifters alone. I also made my own gap guards for the rear. Deff get us some pics!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: body lifting 4wd lever?Weld and cut??!?