leveling a 99?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leveling a 99?

ive seen whispers around the site about 97-03 needing leveled. So i used the allmighty search and came up lacking. I did find a readylift kit on autoanything, but it does not seem to be much. What do i need to do to level my front end ? will this do the trick?

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...0A1898315.aspx

Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 AM
I take it you have a 4x4. Yeah that will level it and much more... like

1. Wear out your ball joints rather fast!
2. Put extreme angles on your CV shafts, causing premature wearout!
3. Make your ride stiffer than a brick!

Ill type this in caps! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AFTERMARKET TORSION KEYS!!!!!

Aftermarket keys are reindexed thus lettin you to crank them more allowing for more torsion bar preload and a higher highth! This is a bad thing! Components such as ball joints and cv shafts are not meant to be under this much strain!

The best possible thing you can do is crank your STOCK torsion keys to level the truck! It should only take a few turns. Mine are 3/4 of the way up and i sit alittle high in the front. You dont ever want to get more than 2" out of a torsion bar crank, its best to try and keep an eye on your cv shaft and ball joint angles while doing this!

Just because i know it will be asked... If you buy the aftermarket keys and dont "over crank" them will it still hurt the suspension as bad! The answer to this is no... but since your stock torsion bar keys can do the same thing with the same effect why pay for it?

Just crank your stock torsion bar keys! I have had mine cranked for over a year and offroad it pretty hard with no problems!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM
X2 - He is exactly correct if you have a 4x4... You can level it for free and this is the most recommended way to do it.

If you have a 4x2, then you need to look into leveling kits.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree also. If you do have a 4x2, Daystar makes coilspring spacers for it.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
ok so no buying stuff, got it.

how do i crank the stock keys? where are they? i know squat about suspension other than changing bushings and replacing leafs and shocks. Ovbiously what im looking for is in the front. what tools will i need? anything short of a 3/4 drive impact gun and i most likely have it.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Find the torsion bars they are bars running from the front of the truck to around the doors. They adjustment keys are on the end of these.

1. Jack the frontend of the truck off the ground completely (both tires need to be hanging)
2. Make a mark on the bolt head and frame, just someway of knowing you have done a complete turn
3. Use a socket or a wrench (i think 1/2")
4. Tighten the bolt, you may need a cheater bar. just remeber how many turns you did on that side.
5. repeat the tightening on the other side "same amount of turns"
6. sit the truck down and see if its where you like... if not then repeat the process till its level or however you want it to be!

NOTE: use jack stands, you need leverage to turn those bolts and you dont want the truck to fall on you!

Go get the truck aligned!

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 05-20-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used a 1/2'' drive breaker bar w/ an 18mm socket, didn't even jack the truck off the ground, or blast the bars. it was a bitch, but they cranked up. if you don't have a breaker bar, find a cheater bar, aka piece of pipe, and attach it to the ratchet. i'm not someone of extraordinary strength either, i had only 130 lbs of body weight to use as leverage, lol.

BTW, this WILL throw off the truck's alignment. you have to get it realigned every time you fool w/ the t-bars.

Last edited by minimonster17; 05-20-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leveling a 99?