Flip kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flip kit

Ive heard talk about a "flip kit" numerous times on here. i was wondering if this was like an inexpensive way to lower your truck or what. I have a '01 2wd f150 and would like to just lower it an inch or so. is there a cheap way that i can achieve this without spending much $$??

thanks.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
Ive heard talk about a "flip kit" numerous times on here. i was wondering if this was like an inexpensive way to lower your truck or what. I have a '01 2wd f150 and would like to just lower it an inch or so. is there a cheap way that i can achieve this without spending much $$??

thanks.
If you're looking to lower only an inch or so then a flip kit isn't for you.

To put it in a nutshell, a flip kit is when you use the hardware in the kit to take out the leafspring packs and put them on the underside of the axle. So instead of the axle on the bottom and the leafsprings sitting on top of it, the axle rides on top of the leafsprings. It's usually used to achieve a 4.5" to 5" drop in the rear. I have one in the back, and shorter springs in the front to get a 2" drop in the front and about a 5" drop in the back. With my rear airbag assist kit i can move the rear anywhere from a 3.5" drop to a 5.5" drop. I would suggest looking in the Street Scene forum further down on the page for more advice.

Or if you only want to lower the rear a couple of inches and leave the front alone, buy a shackle kit. Google it.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
flip kits are 5-6" drop kits for the rear. If you want to go 1" or maybe 2" in the rear do shackles, its your cheapest (and easiest) route

front i would try to find some 1" drop factory 99-2002 SVT lightning coils

Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 PM
sorry for all the questions....

ok so flip kit is out. i just wanted to get a little lower center of gravity, for better handling and a nice level(not slammed) look for my truck. i hardly ever put stuff in the bed, but when i do it is my 4wheeler. so i dont want to risk screwing up the suspension too.

so what size drop should i be looking for?? does a 1"/2" sound good?

and ive already inquired about a set of lightning front coils in the classifieds.

so would shackles be easy to do, say like a day's work??

Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Global Moderator &

coils and shackles are an easy days work. I can help you next time you are back towards me in texas, ill be in waco and DFW randomly so dont think you would have to come all the way to austin

shackles will soften the ride but you should be okay with a four wheeler in the back

Old 05-17-2008, 11:20 PM
kool. i might look into doing that this summer, but only after i purchase my programmer and tunes from VMP. that is my first priority. the lowering shouldnt hurt gas mileage should it? i theory it should actually better it because less drag is being created under the truck....(correct me if im wrong cuz im just rambling)
so im guessing you go to UT? im up at UTA.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
kool. i might look into doing that this summer, but only after i purchase my programmer and tunes from VMP. that is my first priority. the lowering shouldnt hurt gas mileage should it? i theory it should actually better it because less drag is being created under the truck....(correct me if im wrong cuz im just rambling)
so im guessing you go to UT? im up at UTA.
It won't hurt it, but you won't notice an increase either. It'll just stay the same is my guess.

Shackles sound like what you want. Most of them are adjustable too, you can choose from 1" or 2" depending on what holes in the shackle you use. And your ATV will most likely be fine in the back.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 AM
kool. so it looks like i have found my next inexpensive mod to do to my baby. i dont care about decreasing the value of the truck, cuz by the time i get a new one, i eont get much for it anway, so im gonna keep her as a project truck.

i have a kodiak 400, thats y i was asking. it ways a pretty pound

thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Global Moderator &

i went to a tech school in waco, and now im working in austin

i saw about .5 gain all around after i dropped my truck, there is an older thread floating around here somewhere about it

Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
i went to a tech school in waco, and now im working in austin

i saw about .5 gain all around after i dropped my truck, there is an older thread floating around here somewhere about it
Yeah, for more of a serious drop that's what I would guess, but I bet my rims canceled it out

Quick Reply: Flip kit