broken rear leaf spring. need quick temp fix.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken rear leaf spring. need quick temp fix.

Ok i just noticed that my rear driver side leaf spring is crack the middle one and is a little crooked. Im leaving on a trip (400mi one way) and towing a little 5x8 enclosed trailer. i was wondering if anyone had any quick ideas for a quick fix since i do not have time to replace it. I was thinking about putting a Ubolt on it hoping that would hold it in place but wasnt sure if it would stay in place(the ubolt). any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 AM
weld it, it fixes everything ,is this the actual spring or the bracket??

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the spring is actually cracked (kinda hard to imagine), there is no temp fix. Weld it, yes, but you gotta remove it to weld it. If you're gonna do that you might as well replace it. I personally wouldn't drive with it, much less tow with it. That thing comes apart and slides out for one reason or another, well then, you fill in the rest...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Weld it, I dont think so..

It's spring steel, I dont think that a weld being a "casting" in theory will work. It would most likely crack very soon. You need new leafs, and I dont mean just the one that cracked.

Leafs crack all the time, I have seen it often, but usually on heavier duty BIG trucks. I'm talking commercial.

So, 400 mile trip.Are you traveling east by chance, I have a set of 2003 SVT Lightning rear leafs, 17kmi on them to sell.
I might be a little further east though, I'm in NY.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
sorry. im heading going from ohio to michigan. Thats why i thought maybe a U-bolt maybe at least it would hold it in place and not let the leaf slide out.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
ok i think im gonna try hose clamps. i know this isnt the way to fix it im in a pinch and need something. hopefully this will hold it, so it doesnt slide out. wish me luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
alright made back in one piece. I bought 3" muffler clamps from napa they fit perfect around the leaf spring held them in place so they didnt fall out.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
thats crazy, glad you made it back in one piece

Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Amazing

You are one lucky guy. Muffler clamp in a leaf spring? Wow. Wouldn't ride around on that for too long.

Glad you made it back!

Hey, how about a new truck? I just traded in my 2001 for a new 2008 (P221) Awsome ride. Didn't want to miss out the 08 before the 2009 (P415) comes out. I probably get one of those in few years too.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:05 PM
dude...

one of my buddies hit a piece of a leaf spring that had broken and was laying in the middle of the interstate. he was doing about 110, close to 150 meters in front of me. the damage?

here's the piece of leaf spring:

it came in, hit my passenger side A pillar, bounced and hit my dash, hit my steering wheel, hit my passenger seat, and ended up in the passenger floorboard... all within seconds

lets put it like this...it's not something you want to go through. i SHOULD have ran off the road and wrecked because i had glass EVERYwhere. its like the cab of the truck just erupted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken rear leaf spring. need quick temp fix.