2.5" Lift Safety???

Old 05-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.5" Lift Safety???

Ok I have an 04 Screw and i would like to just get the 2.5 in leveling kit and put a little bit bigger tires and rims on it but here is what is holding me back..... My Dad is worried for my safety..... he says that just the 2.5 in kit would make it way more apt to roll over in an accident.... so i was just wondering what your guys thoughts are on that and if you could get me any info to back up that it isn't that big of a difference?...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you drive like a maniac......is that why he's worried about roll over?

Here's what my truck looked like when I had a leveling kit.

Last edited by Hash278; 05-11-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Suspended
Its a truck. Its not liek your gonna be taking turns liek your driving a ferrari. And a 2.5\" leveling kit is not going to make it easier to roll. Thats just an excuse or he is peranoid. I bet you were not allowed to play football or any other sports for fear of getting hurt huh?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 2.5 inch leveling kit is not gonna increase your chance of rollover.
Maybe you should trick him into it. Get some prices on lowering kits and some 24 inch wheels and tires. Then tell him you thought he may be right so you wanna lower the truck to make it more stable and less likely to roll over!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Ha i am a quarterback so i do have more protection than others in football..... anyway thanks i was just needing some more proof that i am right and he is just paranoid....And i don't drive like a maniac.... so no worries....

Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
Maybe you should trick him into it. Get some prices on lowering kits and some 24 inch wheels and tires. Then tell him you thought he may be right so you wanna lower the truck to make it more stable and less likely to roll over!

Now that's just plain mean I've got a sixteen year old at home and they don't need any outside help srewin with the ole man !

Nice one Wandell !

Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM
also is there any way of getting it any higher without messing with suspension? maybe to make it like a 4" total lift?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do a 2.5" leveling kit with a 3" body lift, but after you factor in the cost for the body lift install your coming close to the cost of a full 6" suspension lift.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
uhm...yeah...all trucks, especially 4wd trucks, will roll much easier than most cars. And anyone who says that lifting a vehicle 2.5" will not increase its chance to roll is insane.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Man Up

Just tell your dad about what you've done. Get it? Do it first, then tell him after. How much longer is he going to be making your life decisions for you? But don't be an impulsive idiot. Instead, illustrate the pros & cons, and demonstrate to him that you are making a sound decision and that you will benefit from the kit. Tell him about the clearance. Explain that the larger tire size will give you that much more rubber to grip the road with. Mention how much cooler you'll be with a taller truck with bigger tires, and how the chicks dig big trucks with big tires. Plead with him that you don't want to be a virgin forever, and that big tires will help you FINALLY get some. He will never agree with you on everything, but at least get him to respect your own opinions. Besides, what dad won't be proud when his little boy is dipping his wick?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Let me give you the opinion of a Dad who has a 16 year old son who is about to get his first car/truck. Be honest with him. Parents hate being lied to more than anything else. I would have no problem with my son putting a lift kit on his truck, if he rolls it, he's an idiot and it is his own damn fault. We parents try to teach our kids the best we can and hope they don't all go Curt Cobain on us, thats all we can do. However, if my kid went and put a lift on it knowing I had issues with it, I would make him take it off. Be honest with him and let him help you. Letting him help with the install would probably make him feel better about it. It's only 2.5". A 4" total lift would only make his fears worse. remember, he is worried because your his son and he would probably rather not scrape your butt off the asphalt or pick you off the bark of a tree and take you home in a bucket. We parents are funny that way.

The lift will increase the roll chance, but the percentage is very small. Not to mention the wider tires and wheels (if your getting them) should offset the increase atleast a little. Any F-150 that is stock or raised has a relatively high center a gravity, its part of owning a truck. What will help you keep all 4 wheels on the ground is good driving skills, not lowering it. I have seen lowered trucks sitting on their roofs before. It would seem to me that leveling the truck would give it better balance and actually less likely to nose dive in a turn or swerve, therefore making a rollover less likely. However, I am not a logistician so I cannot vouch for that.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
A leveled truck will handle slightly different than stock, if you keep the tire and wheel assembly not sticking too far out you will be OK. Any truck need's to be driven a little slower especially going around turn's, just don't drive crazy and you'll be alright.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.5" Lift Safety???