Don't know what I need????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know what I need????

I am new so bare with me. I have posted a couple of things on here cause I am trying to figure out what I want to do with my truck. I have decided on a leveling kit. Now... I have no idea what I need. What is the best kit to get? What size? How much is this going to cost me?? Or how much should I pay to get it installed, I dont want to get ripped off. I have an 04 extended cab flare side 2wd. I want it level. Do I need a 2.5 kit. I really do not want the front to look higher than the rear. I have also researched on here and some guys are adding something to the rear when they put the leveling kit on. What is the point of this. Is the kit bad for the overall suspension, does it make other parts of the suspension wear out faster? Also, I want to add bigger tires to my stock rims. Someone on here told me to get 285's. What kind of tires do you recommend. I will not be doing any mudding, mostly driving on the road, and pulling my boat out of the water. I just want my truck to look a little more aggressive, and a little higher up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest the 2 inch Autospring kit. It should be around $80, but I'm not sure of installation cost. It should make your truck just about level. A 285/70-17 or 285/65-18 tire would fit/look great using your oem wheels. I'd suggest the BFG AT KO, Nitto Terra Grappler or Toyo AT.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
thanks

thanks for the reply. I have heard some people say that the autospring kit is not as good as other kits because of the ride quality. is this true?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Jason,
Here is a pic of my truck after I put Bilstein's 5100 leveling shocks, gave 2" of lift in the front........Not the best pic, but this will give you an idea of what to expect with front 2" higher.

Alot of people have AutoSpring kits on their truck and like them, you are going to have some ride change with any kit you put on.......

I wouldn't go any higher than 2" or 2.5", this should level you truck up nicely.....I don't know your budget, but another options are the Bilstein's. I am very happy with them, they leveled the truck plus it handles tons better. They cost a bit more than the leveling kit, but with the shocks you level your truck, plus get better shocks.......

Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I forgot about the tires......

2nd what Wandell said, depending on rim size the 285's should be plenty. Any more and you will lose performance!!! I have 18" rims and already have some 285/65 R18 BFG's ordered....I got the display tire they had which was the same size and put next to my current tire and there was plenty of room for it.....

"Is the kit bad for the overall suspension, does it make other parts of the suspension wear out faster?"

As long as you don't raise your front end too high and stay around 2" - 2.5" the suspension shouldn't wear out any faster than normal.

Hope this helps!!!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Where did you get your shocks from? How much were they to put in? Your truck looks great.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
tires

I just called up my local truck place, they told me that with the leveling kit, the biggest tire I could put on there is a 265/70/17. Is this true???

Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Justin, Sorry didn't get back to you sooner.......I got my shocks from www.topguncustomz.com They were very easy to deal with.......

As far as what the shop told you, I don't think thats true......I mean stock tires on my 18" rims are 265/60 R18 and they were fine before and after lift....

Maybe search for members on here with 2wd's with leveled trucks and see what size tires they are running........I know you can put larger tires than what that shop told you.

From what I could tell, the 285/65's had enough room.....plus the guy there said so too!!! I trust what he says, I've bought probably 6 sets of tires there over the years.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason2525
I just called up my local truck place, they told me that with the leveling kit, the biggest tire I could put on there is a 265/70/17. Is this true???
BS, a lot of guy's run 285's on a leveled 4x2.

Quick Reply: Don't know what I need????