Will a lift kit fix my crappy ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will a lift kit fix my crappy ride

Well I have a 05 screw and got around to installing my 2.5in leveling kit and bought some brand new 325-60-18 cooper stt's and some 18x9 jr. cannon rims.The ride is horribe now.Every bump in the rode is felt back through the steering wheel.I tried airing down a little but can't go below 40psi or the tires start to feel out of balance so thats not an option.I fabbed up a steering stabilizer to try and help and it did a little but not much.I've only had it a week and I'm already tired of it.On smooth rodes,it is really nice but there are not that many in Michigan.I want it to ride closer to stock.It rides like an old 1ton now and with all the steering feedback,it makes it even worse.I was thinking with a lift kit,it would put the A-arm angles back to stock so it would ride better and with bigger,heavier spindles,it would absorb some of the steering feedback I am getting.Make any sense?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
the lift isnt exactly going to get that factory smooth ride back (some may argue that) but i would take a look at your tire choice. what at the tires rated at? D? E? P? they are an agressive mud tires and will behave as such on the roadway. i dont believe the leveling it is causing as much discomfort as your decribing

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah,they are E load range.I was running 255-75-17 bfg mud terrains load range D on my stock rims and they rode better and I didn't get all the steering feedback but I know that is because of the wide rims and tires.I can deal with the stiffer ride but I don't think I can deal with all the steering feedback from the road with them.I take the wifes car to work now just because it isn't enjoyable to drive anymore.These roads really suck around here.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say it's the tires causing the rough ride... My truck rode much rougher after I put my BFG A/T's on...not to the extent that you're describing, but it was noticeable. The leveling kit probably adds to the rough ride also

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
may i ask what brand leveling kit you put in? and did you get an alighnment?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I have the AS 2.5 leveling kit and yes I got an allignment with my stock rims and the BFG mud terrains,not the new tires and wheels.The best way I can describe it is that the wheels and tires feel like they are way to big for the stock steering system.I am begining to really not like this rack and pinion steering.I never had this steering feedback problem with my 99 f150 and I had 38in thornbirds on it.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah the rack and pinion definately gives more road feedback than the old recirculating ball steering... You feel every bump, but it also drives straighter going down the highway, so I guess it kind of pays off.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by MOford21
Yeah the rack and pinion definately gives more road feedback than the old recirculating ball steering... You feel every bump, but it also drives straighter going down the highway, so I guess it kind of pays off.
Exactly ,and with the bigger rims and tires, it exaggerates the steering bumps that much more so thats why I was thinking a lift kit would possibly help absorb some of it.If these roads were not so crappy here,it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I know what you mean about crappy roads. I live in a sort of rural area, so a lot of my driving is on backroads with holes everywhere. 35 mph is about maximum unless you want to break a tooth.

Quick Reply: Will a lift kit fix my crappy ride