Advice on 6in. lift

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 6in. lift

I have a 2000 F150 5.4L triton v8 4x4 ext. cab. Im new to lifting trucks and I want to put a 6in. Fabtech Suspension lift on it with a 35in. tire but have heard from people i know that if i lift it 6in. its gonna cause to many problems cause of the changes in angles. So what im trying to ask is who on here has a 2000 lifted with 6in. and what kind of problems have yall run into after installing the lift, and is it going to cause as many problems as ive been told?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dae54
I have a 2000 F150 5.4L triton v8 4x4 ext. cab. Im new to lifting trucks and I want to put a 6in. Fabtech Suspension lift on it with a 35in. tire but have heard from people i know that if i lift it 6in. its gonna cause to many problems cause of the changes in angles. So what im trying to ask is who on here has a 2000 lifted with 6in. and what kind of problems have yall run into after installing the lift, and is it going to cause as many problems as ive been told?
Hey dae54 Welcome to the site!!!

the Fabtech lift should not cause any problems with angles, if any thing it helps the angles on the front drive axles, and the tie rod ends, the fabtech lift is a well designed lift that will hold up very good in most aplications, it will change the angle on the front and rear drive shaft but it is not enough to cause any problems, I`ve had mine on now for about 3 or 4 weeks and have had no problems at all, it really improved the ride on my truck over stock. Hope this answers some of your questions, if you have any more feel free to ask them!!!

Are you going to do the install yourself or have shop do it?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Yea i plan on putting the lift on myself with my dad. Would i have to shim the driveshaft at all or is it not neccesary. Anything i should be aware of when i go to install the lift and also with the lift should i order traction bars

Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by dae54
Yea i plan on putting the lift on myself with my dad. Would i have to shim the driveshaft at all or is it not neccesary. Anything i should be aware of when i go to install the lift and also with the lift should i order traction bars
You do not have to do anything to the drive shafts (front or rear)...

If you can get traction bars I say go for it!!

When you do the install the torsion bars can be a little stubborn to get out and put back in, If you do a search for torsion bar removal you can find where I wrote out in detail how I got mine in and out, other than that it is pretty straight foward bolt up system, I`ve got several pics in my gallery of the install and if you cant find what you need there just let me know what parts you need pics of and I can take some for you, the pics in the directions are a little hard to see at least for me they were...

Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
what tire size are you running with the 6in. because i was planning on doing 37's but not sure if they will fit without rubbing, but now looking at 35's because there a little bit cheaper and seems most people are running 35's

Old 03-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome bud

Fabtech is a good kit and you wont have any problems from it. But do realize, lifting a truck puts more work loads on it, a little more wear and tear, and you may need to replace certain parts more often. You will also probably begin some off-roading, again shortening the life span of much of your vehicle.

Is the truck going to fall apart ? Heck no. But you will have to keep up on the maintenance a little more often, and might want to keep an eye out and ear open for "different" things. It'll be fine. Go for it !

I'd suggest sticking with 35" tires. No rubbing issues, looks good, and saves you a couple bucks. When yours ready to go up to 37" tires, you should look into re-gearing.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
this may be a dumb qhuestion but what kind of parts would have to be replaced more often due to the wear from loads of the lift?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Ball joints, tie rod ends and a little bit more attention on u-joints on the drive shafts. All of these are normal wearable parts though, just might wear out a little faster with a lift. Go for it, you won't regret it !

Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
^^ agreed and not stupid at all, and don't be scared off by that statement. I knew I should have gone into more detail.

Basically, by going with a real suspension kit, your keeping all your angles pretty much the same. Due to the larger tires and rotating mass, you will need new brakes and rotors faster then you would have with out the lift.

Your tranny, engine, and other drivetrain have more of a work load, due to the heavier parts, and much more rolling resistance. They will wear faster (noticeable ? doubtful) Depending on your wheel off-set you could be wearing down bearings a bit faster. I am talking minimal tho, its not like your cutting its life in half or anything.

It applies more to "off-road" use. Once its lifted, you can go more places, and generally do. You will be putting a lot more abuse on the rig, mudding it and what not. Thats all. Off-roading will take its toll, but you pay to play.
So far, the only thing I have done to my truck is a broken E-brake due to being high-centered. But know, there are plenty of people on this site, with lifts, who do some minor off-roading and have had zero problems.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
i think im gonna go with the 6in fabtech because of the reputation and i think the 4in. lift is to small. also with the driveshaft u joints what do you recommend for the driveshaft, like swithching to different drive shafts or what?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I suggest waiting til the U-joints u have fail. The replace them with a greaseable version. CTM makes some quality U-joints. You'll be fine man, instead of your parts lasting you a 100k miles, it will only last 80-95k miles. Rea;;y wont be that noticable. Just need to keep an eye on your parts.

Fabtech is a great kit, its what I am running. It has taken plenty of abuse from me and my heavy right foot.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM
is this a complete system or is there anything else i would need other than a steering stabilizer

//4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=26038&ProductID=71908

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
link didn't work, but when your ready to order your lift, tires, wheels and any other parts let me know. I can set you up with the best deal out there. A buddy of mine can.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 PM
ill prolly be ready to order some stuff in about may because i am waiting to sell my 93 ranger and im gonna use the money from that to pay for my parts but i will definantly contact you when im ready to order. thanks for all the help

Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
X2

Originally Posted by f150 rider
You do not have to do anything to the drive shafts (front or rear)...

If you can get traction bars I say go for it!!

When you do the install the torsion bars can be a little stubborn to get out and put back in, If you do a search for torsion bar removal you can find where I wrote out in detail how I got mine in and out, other than that it is pretty straight foward bolt up system, I`ve got several pics in my gallery of the install and if you cant find what you need there just let me know what parts you need pics of and I can take some for you, the pics in the directions are a little hard to see at least for me they were...

The only other thing that gave me a hard time were the shock bushings were so thick it was a real PIA to get the nut started on the threads.You will love driving your truck like it's new again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on 6in. lift