can i make my 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive

Old 12-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i make my 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive

im wantin 4 wheel drive and i dont know if i can convert my 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive and im wantin to know if i can convert it and if i can i want a lift kit with it

Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM
technically anything could be done. Should you? Unless you were going to do a solid axle swap AND convert it to 4wd to make it into a trail rig, it'd be far cheaper to just sell what you have and buy a 4x4 truck.

You do realize you can lift 2WD trucks though right?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 PM
convertin to 4wd

i know about the 2wd lift kit i was seein if i can convert it im probly just get the 2wd lift thanks

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
no prob. Post some pics here when you lift it!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
lift

ill do that thanks again

Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. If you want/need four wheel drive, it will be much, much more cost effective to sell your truck and buy a 4x4. It can be converted, but there is just way, way too much cost involved.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Suspended
Sell it, buy a 4x4! Easiest way to convert it...

Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everyone asks themselves this question when they are getting into their trucks. I was told it would be too costly, in my opinion it still would. But where I'm at in trucks right now I'd consider it an option. If you have to ask whats involved it would be hard to understand everything just yet and how each component deals with the other. I know if I had two 04+ F-150's, one 2wd and one 4wd with the SAME cab and bed configurations, I could do an identical swap without much trouble including the wiring, interior switchs, and vacuum system/solenoids. I drew up a diagram a while back of the entire vacuum system, which isn't too complicated at all. Without much trouble might be an understatement but I'd definitely be willing to accomplish it once if I felt it was rewarding enough (which gaining 4wd after purchasing a 2wd is).

The only part I would question is if the tcase output shaft/tailshaft housing is the same as the tailshaft housing on the 2wd transmission. I'm pretty certain it is and I feel I'd be ready to do the swap.

If you can part with your truck just get a new one with 4wd and save yourself the hassle unless you're strongly mechanically inclined, which asking this question usually doesn't mean so just yet. Doesn't take long. And I hope I don't come accross as belittling, I am not severely inclined myself, to the contrary I don't talk about things I don't know enough about either.

Last edited by Josiah; 12-23-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think that it depends on what you want in the end. if you want a monster or trail truck that sees constant abuse, then i feel a solid axle swap is the only way to go. the ifs on these newer trucks can take alot of beating, but nothing compares to a solid axle. you can just leave your stock 2wd motor and tranny combo and run a divorced transfer case/or like Josiah was sayin see if the tailshaft and the housing with match up (or find a smoked 4x4 tranny and swap the guts out) i know they make solid axle kits for the 97-03 f150. either way cost if gonna be an issue, swapping is not cheap, but with enough busted parts it may be the cheaper solution. but there nothing cooler than a solid axle swap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can i make my 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive