04 FX4 Ball Joint Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 FX4 Ball Joint Replacement Help

I'm going to be doing this Friday and need any and all pointers. A writeup would be better, but I couldn't find one for the new year model.

From what I've read, i'm going to need a ball joint press...if I don't have access to one can I fab one up?

i've also heard to freeze the new ball joints to ease the installation.

Any help, pictures, tutorials, ANYTHING that will help me install these would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

for all the search *****, i mostly found ball joint replacement threads from older trucks

Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd imagine they are the same as any other press in ball joint. A few part shops will/have a loan a tool program. Press them out and press them in. Never mind the freezer trick because you'd lose the advantage by the time you set in in the hole and got the press on it.

Not sure if you should take the axle bolt off to prevent pulling the axle out of the diff or if it's even a concern but I usually do when doing fwd/4wd ball joints

Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 AM
what bolt are you talking about taking out to avoid pulling the axle out? I want to take all measures not to screw something up!!! I'm doing this tomorrow!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM
For 4x4 you will have to remove the wheel side of the CV axle. There is no way to get to the ball joint with out removing the wheel side of the CV shaft from the spindle. Deff get the rent a tool ball joint service tool, I dont see any other way. You basically need to tear the front end all the way down. if your 4x2 its so much easier. If you want a write up i can give you one but there are so many different ways to do it like how far you tear the front end down. I left my upper control arm attached to the spindle but tied it up as not to stress the BJ. You can do it with the shock in for 2x4 but with 4x4 and the CV shaft I think you need to take the shock out to get the CV shaft out. Basicly tear it down far enough to get the spindle seperated from the lower control arm

Old 12-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
what bolt are you talking about taking out to avoid pulling the axle out? I want to take all measures not to screw something up!!! I'm doing this tomorrow!
Sorry, the bolt on the end of the axle where it comes through the front bearing just like a front wheel drive car. I just undo it and make sure the axle slides freely in the splines so it will slide out of the bearing rather the the diff or cv.

Were you able to borrow a ball joint press??

Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I haven't borrowed a ball joint press yet, i'm going to check around tomorrow. Will I need any special tools to tear the front end down? I'm not going to have to remove the shock right? i don't have a tool to compress it

Old 12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
you can take the shock/coilover out without haveing to compress it. I would also deff have an impact I guess you could do it with a socket but I dont know how hard it would be i used an impact. You seem really new to this suspension I might recomend looking at an install book for like a procomp or fabtech lift that way you know how to tear down the front end, or maybe even just taking it to a shop if your really new to this kind of work.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 PM
i'm definately not a stranger to mechanic work, i had a POS chevy that I replaced nearly everything onbut yes, i'm new to ford suspensions

I have an impact gun and nearly any other tool you could need, I just don't have specialty tools for a front end. I'm sure it won't be too complicated to tear it down, I've read a writeup on an older model that don't seem to be much different.

i'll try to do a step by step process with pictures to help anyone in the future if i am successful

Last edited by cannonballgsu; 12-20-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
I haven't borrowed a ball joint press yet, i'm going to check around tomorrow. Will I need any special tools to tear the front end down? I'm not going to have to remove the shock right? i don't have a tool to compress it
Don't have to compress it. The disassembly is basically the same as installing a leveling kit. If you have to undo the strutt go for the top 3 bolts(easier). The only problem you may have is figuring out the best way to angle everything so you can press out and install the ball joints with that big #$%^ tool.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 PM
i'll update tomorrow during the install, hopefully all will be positive!!!

thanks for the help also, and ethan, looking at the suspension lift instal helped a lot, gave me a better understanding of the components of the suspension.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:32 PM
well today went crappy. i rung off the grease fitting on one of the joints so i had to order another one. tearing down the suspension and using the press is not that bad, but i f!@#$% up the EASIEST part, putting a grease fitting on!!!
I should knock it out tomorrow night, i've been taking pictures (minus my lil oops) and i'm going to do a lil writeup to help in the future maybe.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:38 AM
well...camera died, but the process was a piece of cake

I didn't have to take the shock loose, only had to take off the steering knuckle.

Proccess includes:
1. Loosen lugs
2. lift truck and put on stands
3. remove wheels
4. jack up control arm while still keeping jackstands under the truck
5. remove tie rod end by loosening nut and smacking the knuckle where the
joint is. this releases the joint itself and it can be removed. also, remove the sway bar link that attaches the the control arm
6. remove brake caliper by loosening the back two bolts and set aside, but
dont over strech the lines.
7. remove the rotor
8. carefully remove the dust cap on the hub and remove the CV axle bearing
nut behind it
9. loosen the upper bal joint a fair amount, but don't remove the nut yet.
10. loosen the lower ball joint nut but don't remove it yet.
11. hit the upper control arm to release the knuckle from the upper ball joint
repeat for the lower.
12. remove the vacuum hoses on the back of the steering knuckle
13. while holding the knuckle, remove the nuts and take the steering knuckle off teh truck. again, don't over extend the hoses.
14. while removing the steering knuckle, pull the CV joint out of the hub and
let it rest out of the way. (i sat it on the sway bar link) DON'T DAMAGE
THE RUBBER SEAL AROUND THE HUB
15. press out the ball joint
16. press in the ball joint and repeat everything backwards!!!

Quick Reply: 04 FX4 Ball Joint Replacement Help