Fabtech Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabtech Lift Question

I got my 6" lift a week ago and we are going to install it this weekend. Has anyone done the drive shaft mod themselves? And also how long did it take you to do the lift?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes you could do the driveshaft mod yourself, but you need to get it rebalance so it's best just to take it to someone.

It took me a good 2 days to install mine. That was by myself (no help) and just hand tools, floor jacks, and jack stands. It was a job, but I learned a lot about the truck. If you want to do then you can, it's really is a bolt on kit. Good luck and email me if you have questions when/ if you get ready to do and need help. I don't get on all the time now since I sold my truck.

djh1121@yahoo.com

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey there Mike, the driveshaft mod is way easier then your thinking. I just put my lift in not too long ago and was in the same boat as you, not knowing if I should do the driveshaft myself. Once you take it out and get the boot off, you will see what you have to do, and see just how simple it is. Just remember to install it with the boot closer to the transfer case. The whole kit, plus a new diff and tranny pan, took about 10 hours. That was with the old man helping out and in our shop with all my very useful air tools. Its is something very doable and you will have a good time learning more about your truck. I have some pics and I wrote down some notes on the install ( I may be doing this install for a couple local members on this site...) so if you have any questions just feel free to ask. I know this site helped me out quite a bit (thanks DJH. And hows the 2wd life treating you? Any plans for another truck?). Mike, you can shoot me a direct e-mail at Euroauto@sonic.net . Good luck, let us know how it comes along

Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech

( I may be doing this install for a couple local members on this site...)

Since you are already a working mechanic, with access to tools & a shop, you may quickly become the "go to" guy here in The Bay Area. Do you know how many guys either hate to, or are afraid to, go back to the dealerships for services?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech

( I may be doing this install for a couple local members on this site...)

Since you are already a working mechanic, with access to tools & a shop, you may quickly become the "go to" guy here in The Bay Area. Do you know how many guys either hate to, or are afraid to, go back to the dealerships for services?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Shouldn't be a problem. I am more than willing to help if/when I can. Like you said, I am a working mechanic and my business will have to come first, but I am sure if anyone needs some help we can figure it out and work around it.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
hey can someone explain what exactly is this "drive shaft modification," i have heard several people talking about it and i am not quite sure what every one is talking about.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
your stock driveshaft has it U-joint "flanges" set opposite >====-- (horrible comp pic... but maybe you get the idea if you take out the driveshaft and see what i mean) You will have to take off the boot and be careful not to get any crud/dirt in there. Now with the boot off and the shaft pulled apart, you need to turn one end 90 degrees so it will be closer to this: >===< . To do this you will need a dye grinder or some other type to grind down a notch in a flat spot they call the "key" It is very simple and takes all about 10 minutes. If this seems confusing, take out the driveshaft, take it apart like I said and I'm sure you will see what I mean. Hope this helped. If you need it more "in-depth" you can e-mail me (euroauto@sonic.net) or just re-post an will answer as soon as I can. Good luck bud.
P.S. this mod is recommended for ANY 6" lift on the newer body style F150 even if Pro-Comp says nothing about it in their directions! I am not sure about older models.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 12-06-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM
you wont need a drive shaft with a 6" and it took me 2 full days

Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
he doesn't need a new driveshaft... but he def should reclock it. They say not every single truck will need it (every truck is slightly different) but it comes recommended. Plus it will allow the driveshaft to turn at a more severe angles with out any issues. You may be able to get away with not doing this mod (many have) but come on... it takes what? ten minutes and it has its benefits.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
any good write ups on modding the drive shaft? maybe with pics?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
any good write ups on modding the drive shaft? maybe with pics?
You don't like my little computer drawings??? seriously tho, if you try it, you will see what I mean. All your trying to do is to get the flanges pointing the right way. Take your front driveshaft out, pull apart, turn one end 90 degrees, try and put em back together. You wont be able to because of the little key. Grind it away... presto, put boot back on and then put shaft back together. Bring it to be balanced. FabTech's instruction does a quick write up of it too if youd like. I wish I nabbed pics of the before and after...
Try it first, if you have questions you can always ask. It is so much easier then it sounds.

Quick Reply: Fabtech Lift Question