Adding the leaf.. add-a-leaf kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding the leaf.. add-a-leaf kit

I am going to purchase an add-a-leaf kit right away, and am wondering how hard it is to add the leaf to the springs? Do you have to pull the existing leafs off the truck, or can I add the leaf while they are still installed, and what do i use to keep the leafs together while i'm adding the new one to the pack? Any tips or instructions would be awesome, thanks!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 AM
You can always leave the main leaf hanging on the vehicle to install the add a leaf. You need to figure out if you are getting the long add a leaf (better ride but harder to install) or the short add a leaf (worse ride but easier to intall) and go from there. Either way you need to take off the u bolts, take out the bottom shock bolts, jack up the vehicle, the next step will vary depending if it's short or long add a leaf but if it's the short then just clamp all of the springs together except for the overload and take out the center bolts. Put the new center bolts through the overload and new leaf and line them up with the rest of the springs and tighten down. Let the weight of the vehicle down and line up the center bolts heads with the hole in the spring perch which will align the axle and then put your u bolts and bottom shock bolts back in. If it's the long add a leaf then you'll have to either bend or cut the clips out depending on what style clips you have and you'll line up all of springs and put them in your main leaf and then put new clips on or bend up the old ones. Sounds confusing but after you do it once you'll see it's pretty easy just make sure you get the bolt head in the spring perch.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You sound like I did when I read the instructions that came with the kit. That was when I decided to just let the shop install it while I took a nap in their comfy waiting lounge.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
You sound like I did when I read the instructions that came with the kit. That was when I decided to just let the shop install it while I took a nap in their comfy waiting lounge.
You'll never learn anything that way. You gotta get dirty sometimes.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by nooq
You'll never learn anything that way. You gotta get dirty sometimes.

But how best would that knowledge serve me?

It's not like I aim to master the craft of adding leaf springs so that I can be the king of my own add-a-leaf empire.

It's not just auto mechanics. I also pay other people to do my plumbing, roofing, painting, dry cleaning, cooking, et cetera.

What I can do, I do. What I can screw up, I let others do. I have no delusions of being "Mr. Fix-It". Tools just don't belong in my hands. The babies have soft skin for lovin'.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
put a C clamp on the leafs, leave them in the truck, just drop the axle down enough to slide the new one in, and put a longer center bolt in.
-Patrick

Old 11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Well I do about 5 of them a day and that includes cutting, arching and punching them so it's hard to explain by writing and definitely not the easiest job if you don't have the tools to do it so you probably made a wise decision.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Joe where here in this great state are you?

n/m I checked your profile. Man I wish your shop was down here.

Last edited by Impact9; 11-30-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Alright thanks, I'll be able to handle that myself. I'm planning on doing a short leaf, pro-comp style most likely. Anyone seen any good prices on the pro-comp or other types on the net anywhere?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by think_07

Anyone seen any good prices on the pro-comp or other types on the net anywhere?

I bought the Explorer ProComp 13134 from 4 Wheel Parts for $83.31 last month from one of their retail stores.

I just checked the 4wheelparts.com website and with 10% off list of $89.99 & free shipping, the final price is $80.99.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT1520.aspx

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...jpg&partNo=EXP

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...jpg&partNo=EXP

Old 12-01-2007, 07:06 AM
KansasJoe, is a good and honest man. I appreciate it, once again joe. Take it easy bro,

Quick Reply: Adding the leaf.. add-a-leaf kit