Changing Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Torsion Bars

Need help, I am wanting to change my torsion bars on my 2003 F150 to the 7700 series. Has anyone ever done this? Is there any special tools I need? And can some one tell me how to do this?? P.S Is there really any point. I am also changing my rear springs to the 7700. That part is easy.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't really think of a reason to do such unless you're going to install a huge front bumper/winch combo type set-up. Other than that...

Why are you doing all this?? Towing/hauling??

Funny thing, I've searched for aftermarket torsion bars but can't find any. Sway-A-Way makes aftermarket ones but none for our trucks.

But if you must, changing them is a piece of cake...

-Jack the truck up by the frame so the wheels are completely hanging free
-Completely remove the screw at the rear that goes into the key thing. This is located at the tail end of the torsion bar where it attaches to the crossmember. The screw is the only one there that is installed straight up.
-Wiggle/slide the torsion bar rearward until it falls out of its hole in the lower control arm and remove.
-Reverse for installation of new one.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
You're going to need an unloading tool to do it. We use the gm one because it's heavy duty. After removing the bolt the key will sit on a retainer piece so you'll need the tool which will attach to the top side of the torsion rail and in a hole on the key itself. Tighten it down until you can remove the retainer and then loosen it up which will free up the key and then you'll have to knock the torsion bar forward through the control arm and do the same thing to put it back in. You can usually rent this tool from somewhere or some people use gear pullers.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Is his truck different for some reason?? Just asking as I've never needed an unloading tool on mine. Once I took the bolt out of the key, the torsion bar was completely free with no weight on it what so ever. Torsion bar slid right out and in!!

I know the torsion bars on the SuperCrew's are different but I thought it was just the length that was different. The SuperCrews are shorter than any other 150 body style. Is this the difference?? I've never taken out a set of the long ones!!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, the bars on the Screws are shorter.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Changing torsion bars

Originally Posted by Galaxy
Can't really think of a reason to do such unless you're going to install a huge front bumper/winch combo type set-up. Other than that...

Why are you doing all this?? Towing/hauling??

Funny thing, I've searched for aftermarket torsion bars but can't find any. Sway-A-Way makes aftermarket ones but none for our trucks.

But if you must, changing them is a piece of cake...

-Jack the truck up by the frame so the wheels are completely hanging free
-Completely remove the screw at the rear that goes into the key thing. This is located at the tail end of the torsion bar where it attaches to the crossmember. The screw is the only one there that is installed straight up.
-Wiggle/slide the torsion bar rearward until it falls out of its hole in the lower control arm and remove.
-Reverse for installation of new one.

I AM TOWING A 5TH WHEEL, THAT IS WHY I AM CHANGING THE REAR SPRINGS, SO I AM ASSUMING I NEED TO CHANGE THE TORSION BARS??

KEN

Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Changing Torsion Bars

Originally Posted by wandell
Yep, the bars on the Screws are shorter.
I GUESS I AM SOUNDING STUPID, WHAT DO YOU MEAN "THE BARS ON THE SCREWS ARE SHORTER???

kEN

Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Screws come with torsion bars that are physically shorter than Supercab and regular cab F-150's torsion bars. Supposedly this is to improve ride quality. I guess Ford figured that people purchasing a crew cab truck would be more concerned with ride quality than other truck owners.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Seems kinda wierd that the shorter ones would offer a better ride?? Just thinking outloud, but seems like the longer bar would offer more "twist" range and thus be softer. No???

Ken...Just personal input here, but I wouldn't worry about the heavy duty torsion bars for the front. Would be a benefit if you were loading up the front like I said earlier, but your front is going to be getting lighter from the load. Heavier bars wont help keep the front end loaded if that's what you're thinking. Also this...what are you going to spend on springs?? Compare the two, and since you can only go so heavy with your truck, you may come out cheaper going with air bags with your current springs which will retain the decent stock ride when not loaded.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Changing Torsion Bars

Originally Posted by Galaxy
Seems kinda wierd that the shorter ones would offer a better ride?? Just thinking outloud, but seems like the longer bar would offer more "twist" range and thus be softer. No???

Ken...Just personal input here, but I wouldn't worry about the heavy duty torsion bars for the front. Would be a benefit if you were loading up the front like I said earlier, but your front is going to be getting lighter from the load. Heavier bars wont help keep the front end loaded if that's what you're thinking. Also this...what are you going to spend on springs?? Compare the two, and since you can only go so heavy with your truck, you may come out cheaper going with air bags with your current springs which will retain the decent stock ride when not loaded.
Thanks for reply so quickly, I have air bags now and love them. I am only spending about 350.00 canadian on the springs. I am wanting to stiffen the rear when when I have 1300lbs in the bed. That is why. I see you have 4.10 gears. how do you like them. I am also looking at going from 3.55 to the 4.10's

Thank Ken

Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 PM
i was thinking of putting a small (plastic) plow on my truck this winter 2000 scab, would i be fine with the stock bars or should i upgrade?? i am really not concerned about ride qaulity too much.

Quick Reply: Changing Torsion Bars