2wd -> 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2wd -> 4wd

I currently have a 2WD 2004 f-150. I just recently added a 2.5" AS spacer on the truck. But i really wanna go bigger! I have looked into suspension lifts very hard and i just cant seem to get the lift + tires into my budget. I have tried very hard but i just cant fit it in but it got me thinking. I know that the 4WD trucks sit about 2" higher than my truck when they both have spacers on them and they both have the same bad CV angles. I was wondering if i could buy the different 4WD parts that are different from my 2WD and put them on my truck. Then i could install the bilstein 5100 with the 2" lift instead of the oem shocks and still be within ok CV angles because i have the other 4WD parts. Does anyone get what i am trying to say?? I'm 99% sure it would work i mean the 4WD trucks sit higher than me and thats all i want is the additional 2" of lift the 4WD trucks have. I cant just go buy one so i figure i can buy a few suspension parts from a 4WD and sit higher like the 4WD's. I'm thinking it has to be either the LCA or the spindle that is different on the 4WDs i just need some confermation so i can buy the parts from ford. Thanks Alot!!

Trent Kammerer

Old 11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe the 4x4's difference is a taller coil and the 2" blocks in the rear.

So all you would need is the 4x4 coil and I'm sure it would fit. More knowledgeable members will chime in on this.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Yea, the coil is bigger. I would be useing the bilstein 5100 shock to get the bigger coil. I just need to know what other part is bigger. I'm pretty sure either the knuckle or the LCA is bigger in the 4WD version to accomidade for the bigger shock and the spacer. I just need to know for sure.

Thanks,
Trent Kammerer

Old 11-24-2007, 03:41 PM
yea that sounds right, ive been looking into doing this to my truck also.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you shop around, you can find the standard 6 inch Pro Comp lift pretty cheap.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by daculatruck50
I know that the 4WD trucks sit about 2" higher than my truck when they both have spacers on them and they both have the same bad CV angles. ... Then i could install the bilstein 5100 with the 2" lift instead of the oem shocks and still be within ok CV angles because i have the other 4WD parts.
Trent Kammerer
If your truck is a 2wd you don't have any CV's and thus no angles to worry about. What you will want to watch are your upper and lower ball joint angles

Beyond a bigger coilover, I think the spindle on the 4wd is also 2" taller. I'm not sure because I don't have any 2wd spindles to compare mine to... but you do so (since I'm such a nice guy and all) I measured one of my old stock spindles from bottom to top and came up with 20 1/16"

If they are different that could be a problem as I don't know if the hardware on the 2wd and 4wd spindles are interchangeable. Your best bet is to compare them. I have shots of my bare spindles in my lift write-up you could compare your stock spindles to.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks you very much. I'm going to take a tire off tomorrow to measure my stock 2WD one. Also will the hub and disc brake mount the same if i got the 4WD spindle on my 2WD hub? Are there any big differences anyone knows of? I know the 4WD spindle will have a hole in it to accomidate the CV axle. So i am wondering if it would just be a replacement thing? Does anyone have any ideas of how i could figure that question out?

Also what i'm saying makes since right. The 4WD spindle + 2" bilsteins would get me factory 4x4 stance then my 2.5 AS would give me that extra 2.5" with the ball joints still ok. Right??

Thanks!
Trent Kammerer

Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 AM
In addition to those questions up there i have one more. I know the spindles for the 2WD and 4WD are very different. Will my hub and disc and everything from a 2WD bolt up to the bigger 4WD with no problems. I know the 4WD spindle will have a big hole where the 4WD axle would go but other than that should i expect any problems?

Thanks,
Trent Kammerer

P.S. When i start on this project you bet a nice write up will be included. I'm determined to figure this out!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 PM
I can't really say. I'd suggest you compare the pics of the spindles in my write up to your spindles and determine what is the same and what is different.

It may not be possible to do what you are trying to do or it might be as easy as apple pie. I have no idea

Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Yea. I guess i will have to take off one of the discs and hubs to get a good look at the bare spindle to compare it with yours. I'm just thinking that the 4WD spindle has the big hole in it from the 4WD axle and mine doesn't have that. I dont know i guess i will just have to look.

How long and how involved is taking the disc and hub off to get at the spindle?

What all actually connects to the spindle? I figure you know from experiance.

If i take it all apart and put it back together will my alignment be affected?

Thanks,
Trent Kammerer

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 AM
DRJ
Originally Posted by wandell
If you shop around, you can find the standard 6 inch Pro Comp lift pretty cheap.
or a bodylift bro

Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by daculatruck50
Yea. I guess i will have to take off one of the discs and hubs to get a good look at the bare spindle to compare it with yours. I'm just thinking that the 4WD spindle has the big hole in it from the 4WD axle and mine doesn't have that. I dont know i guess i will just have to look.

How long and how involved is taking the disc and hub off to get at the spindle?

What all actually connects to the spindle? I figure you know from experiance.

If i take it all apart and put it back together will my alignment be affected?

Thanks,
Trent Kammerer
Taking the disc off is fairly easy and straightforward. It's just 2 allen bolts that hold the caliper in place and once you remove that the disc comes right off as the wheel actually holds it in place when it's on.

You probably won't have to pull the hub just to see how it is attached, but as I don't have any experience with the 2wd variant I don't know what is involved in it's removal if you do.

Your alignment shouldn't be affected just from pulling the discs

Last edited by Cuisi; 11-26-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
No offense intended, but it sounds like you are going through a crapload of trouble for a couple of inches. For the price you are going to spend buying those 4wd parts, you could easily buy a body lift (and have it installed). That's 3" right there. Don't know what the 6" ProComp will run you installed, but I'd just guess that it would be worth the trouble to go that route instead.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All you need to do is replace the front shocks with 4wd ones, they are 2" longer on the bottom below the spring seat and reuse your current springs, they are the same length. For the rear just get some 2" rear blocks from a 4wd and the longer 4x u-bolts.
If you still need more lift just install a 3" body lift on top of the 4wd shocks, you should be able to clear 36" tires with all of it.

If you lived closer I would swap you my 4wd shocks and 2" blocks for your 2wd stuff.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 11-26-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2wd -> 4wd